Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Lift Kit
Thread: Lift Kit
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 09:32 AM
J.R.

Re: Lift Kit

Personally, between the two, I would go with the shackle lift.

A shackle lift will contain longer (and hopefully stronger) shackles with the kit to raise the rear end. They basically lift the truck from the frame to leaf spring.

An add-a-leaf suspension is an extra overload leaf added to your spring pack. Might make the suspension stiff all the way through its articulation. I have heard of cases of them breaking and being too rough on the (human) body.

NOW -- if you had another choice, you could get new springs altogther. I would check with companies like Deaver Springs in CA (I think Santa Ana, not sure) or National Spring in El Cajon, CA. I am told that Jeff at Deaver Spring is the better choice, as you can get your springs faster and he won't be happy until you are. A full set of springs for the rear will run you about $500. Not including shipping and installation. The springs can be set up for your type of driving (for instance, I do desert pre-running, I'll want softer rear springs) and for the amount of weight you normally carry in the back. I think that's a better option than to go with shackles OR add-a-leaf.

Hope that helps

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome