Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Bad Weekend..Venting..Jeeper in need of support.
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 06:29 PM
Jaffer

Re: Bad Weekend..Venting..Jeeper in need of support.

Instead of 'support' (you've already had lots of that) how about a kick in the pants? ...

Lots of things are bothering me about your tale...

That buzz box isn't going to help you fix the probem, sounds like a waste of good rod. One thing I have always tried to teach my boy was ... "If it doesn't work, MAKE IT WORK!" Whining counts in the negative direction...

Why no pins? Get some and knock them in! Common steel rod stock will probably work. If not, make somethin work! Hand grind some old bolts if you have to...
While you are at it, get a set of new 4.0, larger, (not 4.2) cupped washers from the Jeep dealer. You should have learned in this forum when Mag/45 told Cindy Allen about these being larger and would work better. You and her were both whining about your 4.0 conversions at the same time. Seems her dist was in 180* off ... as diagnosed here ... but she wouldn't listen either because her husband wouldn't admit he might have screwed up ... until much later ...
If you bought a new 4.0 Fel-Pro or Mopar (I presume, since you were instructed to) gasket, then what did the guy do with it and how do you know if the one you took out isn't that one?
Are you SURE you got a 4.0 gasket? Did you double check this when you bought it.
Like the Rogue Warrior ... "Never assume anything" ...
If not, how and why did it get switched? I don't buy this story ...
Did the wrong gasket create the leaks or did the epoxied jackets? Both?
From the way this tale is going, I'd set the head on and check to see if the correct jackets were epoxied ... wouldn't be surprised at this rate that the primaries were plugged instead of the sometimes offending ones near the manifold edge ...
Why are you so lean/rich? Was the manifold THAT poorly mounted? Or is it water?
Why didn't you check the plugs last month to see this lean/rich problem like you were advised you to? Did you think the problems would go away?
Sorry, no. They usually just get worse. For sure in your case.
That hot mill has been trying to tell you something was wrong.
The white water streaks were tears from your engines' crying for help!
You've just been throwing more water (via 3-core and hi-perf pump) on the fire.
I hope you havn't warped your head and/or valves running around with it in that condition and at those (230* as reported) temps.
Did you install new head bolts as instructed? I sure hope so.
If not DO IT THIS TIME!
And for Pete's sake, use a torque wrench on the manifolds and use the proper sequence ... or were you going to skip that part too?
You know where to find the specs and sequence, don't you ...
How much time (that you said you didn't have in the beginning) have you saved by now???
At least you (should have) learned several very important lessons ...
Learn to do it yourself ... a little late now, but better than never.
Pay attention to detail. Pay attention to detail. Pay attention to detail.
Good advice is worthless unless you follow it.
You'll learn ... (especially through this experience) ...

Your mill will probably be OK. Just put it together right this time...
I won't wish you good luck, it ran out.
You need (to do) good work instead ...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome