Off Roading Forums banner

Smoother Ride......

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I've looked at past posts and still can't decide what the best solution to my question is. I have a stock 86 Sammy which is my daily drive. I put around 150 miles a day on it, primarily at 45-60 mph. I would like to hear from you about the best solution, and most cost effective, to smooth out the ride. Am I looking at lifting, stretching, folding, bending..anyway, I really am unsure of what to do or where to start. I am not intending on creating an off-road only ride, but would like to take it off the road.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks all

#2 ·
It seems that I am looking for the same thing as you. The preliminary recommendations that I am getting (from two separate dealers) seems to be go to Old Man Emu (OME) springs with no other modifications with the exception of greaseable shackles and urethane mounts. Wider wheels (8 inches) would also serve well on or off road. So with that in mind I will be saving for OME springs and short (3/8 lift)Conferr shackles with greasable urethane mounts. This lift (about 2 inches) will more than clear any tall rubber I might want to install. The rubber I was considering was 28-29 inches depending on if I want to install a GRS I or keep stock gears. P rated tires would be better for road and LT rated tires better for off road. Keeping your unsprung weight low with alloy wheels would help onroad handling. This may sound like blasphemy but I am considering a rear sway bar for onroad use. I will know more in a couple of weeks after I talk to my Samurai mechanic. Contact me by personal email if you want further details and the names of dealers that made the recommendations.

#3 ·
I think others are more pro at this than me,but my experiences show that if you put ATs on instead of mudders this smooths it out a little, but having the best of both worlds is about impossible.Somethings got to be sacrificed somewhere on an on-off road vehicle.Of course I havent experienced with better shocks or springs or anything.

Criminals prefer unarmed victims!Al Gore wants your firearms!Defend 2nd Ammendment

#4 ·
Dave,

The OME springs Really are plush! Add to this the larger tires the lift will give you, and I think you will be very pleased with how much better the ride will be. Wider rims will help handling, too.

Your will practically lose 5th gear with the larger tires until you re-gear. A GRS I - type unit would be ideal, and at 150 miles per day, I'd bet it won't take you long to get one ordered /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
This combination would make a good daily driver, plus a great part-time off-road machine (even better if you add traction devices, I.E. Lockers)

OILBURNER tim.justice@ipaper.com
1988.5 Samurai, 1.9L VW Diesel, GRS II, Toyota axles w/ 'locked High-Pinion Diff's.,
35" BFG M/T's, and Lotsa custom goodies too /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

#5 ·
If you are not looking to lift or spend lots of money, I sugest you start cheap and work with what you have.

You could pull the spring packs off and separate the leaves, clean them with a wire brush, then coat them with "Slip Plate" a graphite impregnated substance that works very well on leaf springs.

That should soften up the springs and be a good place to start.

Also, check your spring eye bolts and shackle bolts to make sure they are not too tigh. Check for a good fit and no binding there. Greasable shackle bbolts are an option you could look into.

From there, I wuold look into getting a good set of shocks to smooth out the ride. Lots of opinions here, so others may want to chime in with what they found to work. It is hard to beat RS9000's for their adjustability here.

Probably the easiest and cheapest thing to check is tire air pressure. Loweing the air pressure slightly can really soften the ride of the vehicle and work well with the suspension mods I mentioned above.

Good luck /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

#8 ·
I would avoid urithine bushings. They do inprove handliing but are alot stiffer. I used them on mine when I frist started and HATE them. Good factory rubber bushings are softer and move better. With greasable shackles they should be great. Add wider tires and lower air pressure(20psi or so) and that should help.

C-Ya.....................kh

#10 ·
Not at all!

Lowering tire pressure does not have to mean increased tire wear.

I would use the wet tire method to check that you are running at or just below optimum tire pressure. Air the tires up to like 35 psi and drive through a piddle on concrete. Looat the wet tire print and you will see most likely that the whole tread pattern is not showing up, just the center of the tread. Now, lowe the pressure and repeat until you have an even contact patch showing for the whole tread surface - shoulder to shoulder. You could then go slightly lower than that to help soften the ride.

Set like this, your tires should maximize wear and wear evenly across the tread as they are supposed to do.

Have fun /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G
#11 ·
150 miles per day, you are a strong man. :eek:)) Driving down the highway the other day, getting beaten to death by my Sammie, wind throwing me all over the place. Thinking, "I really like my Sammie, but as a daily driver, it is somewhat uncomfortable."
Then I went and bought new shocks all round. Threw them under there, and...........wow, what a difference. The sharp whacks are now smooth throws, the wind doesn't throw it around. It's not exactly plush, but the improvement is huge. Should have done it when I bought it. Sits at 75 on the highway, and will do better when the tranny is rebuilt, and I can use 5th.
What's next? Get rid of the little tires and put on something bigger. That should improve comfort somewhat. (By bigger, I mean 235/75/15, it's a daily driver, stock, so nothing fancy yet). And high on the list is a new set of seats (Eclipse, perhaps?) And rear brakes would be nice too.

G
#12 ·
You are reading my mind....I plan on putting in new shocks this weekend....did you change the size, or stay with the standard.....and now that I put a bolt through the sidewall of my 215, i may as well invest in something a little bigger like 235.

Just a computer geek.....but one who likes to have fun!

#14 ·
dave-i daily drive my sammi i started out with 235/15 m/s
tires home-made longer shackles used two sets of rear end
lift shackles from autozone drilled new holes put a cross brace in them & urethane bushings no tire rub could still
use 5th mostly think about small lift shackles 1 to 2" and
225/15 tires w/agressive tread and new shocks will be great
on street and fair off road the more you build for offroad
the less with your milage you will be happy on the street
i have done lots more to my zuki but only drive 25 miles on
the street daily except to go and play offroad.

88 spoa samurai
97 sidekick sport
those that can samurai those that can't ?

#15 ·
Dave,
I've found that longer shackles help to a degree as long as they don't really throw off the steering geometry resulting in bump steer. Some get it and some don't. Greaseable spring/shackle bushings help a great deal. They allow the suspension to move as it is intended yet there is a desireable firmness and controll in the resulting ride. You can get them from Rocky Road Outfitters. I have them on both my zooks and love em'. Hope this helps......

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

G
#17 ·
Keep the National springs in mind too. We run these on our vehicles (have for many years) and they ride sweet. At over $100 less than OME's, they may allow you to get the springs faster, and/or put some money towards some other mods. I've been rockcrawling with the Nationals on my Zuks for many years though with great success off road, and awesome riding on road.

http://www.rocky-road.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.