This was posted on the Full-Size Jeep forum, to reply to the post, click here
I have a Jeep that doesn't run right. Mine is a 76 J10/258 (L6). Symptoms: Won't idle, only runs at high RPM. Starts
ok and runs smoothly until full choke comes off Then it tanks unless I keep my foot in it to keep the throttle open.
Seems smooth, but as soon as engine speed starts to drop it's like someone turned it off, unless I pump the gas and
get the engine speed back up. Seems like it's not running on the idle circuit, only main jets, except when fully choked.
Here's what I've done so far:
- replaced the distributor (old was HEI conversion that was worn out, new is Motorcraft for '78 engine) cap, rotor,
coil & ignition module. I was going to do this anyway, so it's not really a case of throwing parts at it.
- Checked timing.
- disassembled carb (rebuilt last fall) and cleared idle jet passages etc with compressed air, checked idle jets and tubes for clogging - they were clear. I have done the tube bore-out recommended in the FAQ. Did not check float level but did verify that the valve works.
- checked fuel flow both before and after fuel filter.
- disassembled the EGR valve assembly. It does not work at all, due to leaky diaphram. But the valve itself is closed
and this is not recirculating any exhaust gas. I don't think it has worked since I got the engine, and I have not had it
- capped all vacuum ports from the carb to make sure there were no vacuum leaks in the tubing.
- When I pulled a plug (#1, to verify TDC when replacing the dizzy) I observed that it was very clean, looked new. It
is new, has less than 2000 miles on plugs & about 4000 on wires.
Where do I go from here?
Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Its missing the alternator. At first the Ammeter guage just didn't work but now its missing an alternator [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]