Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - To buy or not to buy?
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2000, 02:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: To buy or not to buy?

I remember the first time; wasnt' that long ago. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

EGT stands for Exhaust Gas Temperature. The gauge is sometimes known as a pyrometer. It's basically telling you what's going on in the combustion chamber. If the temperature's getting too high, that means that there's too much fuel going into the cylinders and getting burned, and you need to let off the throttle. Especially with the Nissan diesel, if you let the cylinders get too much fuel for too long (i.e. high EGT temps), chances are you're going to crack a piston. This happened to me 'cause the previous owner did something really dumb. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Basically, a sending unit's mounted in the exhaust pipe (the closer you can be to the manifold, the better). You'll actually be drilling in the pipe; really not that big a problem if you're careful about it. Then find a easy-to-spot place in the cab for the gauge. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And that's really it! If you put the sending unit (probe) right after the manifold, you should use 1100° as a maximum temperature (actually, going up to 1250° is safe, but I believe in a liberal cushion, especially with the engine at stake). You may want to double check those numbers; I know they're safe to use with an SD-33T (and pretty much all turbo diesels), but situations may be different without the turbocharger in the exhaust stream.

Any more questions, please feel free to post here...you can also E-mail me if you want. Good luck!!

The Warden

1980 International-Harvester Scout II SD-33T in the ICU

looking at a '73 IH 1110 pickup as a trade

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome