Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Which tubing bender and Notcher??
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 03:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Which tubing bender and Notcher??

I have a JD2 (J-D squared) model 3 bender, it works very well and the price was very reasonable. It is not hydralic and while it would be very nice, I can't see spending $1000 to convert it. Manual is kind of a pain but if you got a buddy to reset it while you move the bar it's not too bad. There was another guy locally that was using the model 3 with the hydralic kit and last time I spoke to him he was looking to upgrade. I'd like to upgrade as well but can't afford to. I guess what bender depends on what you plan to do. I use my for my own personal vehichles, friend's vehichles, and occasional jobs for strangers. If I used it everyday I would defiantely upgrade. If your just planning to use the bender for you and your buddies I think a manual bender would be fine. However if you're going to use it as a business, upgrade to a nicer production style bender. Also definatly get the tightest radius, 180 degree dies. As for the notcher I got the 'ol joint jigger from Northren equiptment. It's a nice notcher but it's key selling point for me is that it is one of the only nothers that goes to 60 degrees, most quit at 45. When I first got it I tried using it in the drill press and I guess I bent the shaft a little. Now I use a 1/2" air drill and it works a lot better. I'm still fairly new to the fabricating biz but the best advice I can give is to buy all your brackets and tabs premade. Unless you have a punch and flametracer a lot of your time will be wasted making little tabs instead of bending and welding. I use a lot of tabs for Chassis-shop as well as a few others. There's plenty of money to be made if you plan on doing fab work as a side business. Matter of fact I'm flying to Dallas next week to take a look at a truck I'll be doing some work on, and I'm just a little guy working out of a friends garage. I could quit my night job and do this full time already but I'm spoiled by my steady paycheck and benefits. Best of luck
Travis

www.jd2.com
www.ChassisShop.com
www.NorthernTool.com

So many Jeeps... So little time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome