Off Roading Forums banner

4" shackle flip

702 views 7 replies 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
4\" shackle flip

if i wanted to put that 4" shackle flip kit on my 1/2 ton but was putting 1 ton suspension in place of the 1/2 ton, would I still be able to use the shackle flip kit? I would THINK so, but thats why I'm here. (does any of that make any sence?)

MIKE.S 84GMC,454

G
#3 ·
Re: 4\" shackle flip

Why would you want to install 1 ton suspension on a 1/2 ton? If your carrying that much weight you should have a 1 ton truck to start with(stronger frame, brakes and drivetrain). The rear springs are longer(56")and will not bolt onto a 1/2 ton without modification to the front and rear spring hangers. If your reason is to lift the truck , then a quality suspension system will do the trick. You could use the Off-Road Design shackle flip with your stock rear springs(if they are in good shape)combined with new front springs.

Hope this helps
KJ

G
#5 ·

YUP, going to 14blt in rear and some fine day, the dana60 in front. But in the mean time I'm planning on a 4-6" lift to go with the 14blt. The plan is to PULL more than carry so upgrade is needed. So should I be able to put those 4" shackles in a different local than where the factor hangers are?

MIKE.S 84GMC,454

G
#6 ·

I say it would work no matter what the spring length is. Why would that even make a difference? Its not like your making any adjustments to the springs. All the shackle flip does is reverse the current one to give it the 4" of lift.

G
#7 ·

Well, here's two quotes directly from ORD's page...

Load carrying ability is also a common question. Basically, if you keep the factory overloads, you won't have any trouble.

56 inch rear springs are not a problem for the flip kit.

G
#8 ·

The flip will hold up fine to 1 ton. For springs, you could use 3/4 ton Suburban springs with a add-a-leaf or give Alcan a call and talk to them about some customs. Their prices aren't bad for custom springs.
http://www.alcanspring.com
Be sure to check out the flip article on off-road.com.

Shawn
87 K5
4" flip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.