Off Roading Forums banner

O/t what was I thinking?

10K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  Jim_Lou 
#1 ·
So a local guy here has a tire shop that his dad opened in 1980. About two years ago he started subbing at the post office for my wife and has picked up enough hours on other routes that he has decided that's what he wants to retire doing. We have been bugging him for years to sell it to us and a couple weeks ago he told my wife he is done.we have spent the last couple weeks going over numbers and Monday I put my notice in after 21 years of making snack cakes so my son and I can have a tire shop. Tools equipment and inventory just take over. Have to use a little bit of my retirement but not much. Wasn't too sure about it but it felt great to walk into work and say I'm done. Don't know if it is a good decision or a bad one, just know I'm going to go for it and make the best of it.

#3 ·
Yah I had just been informed I had received a maintenance job at work which pays more but requires me to go back to working nights for atleast a year before I had any kind of chance of making it back to days. Didn't really expect to get the maintenance job after passing me up for another supervisors brother in-law. Yah it was one of those situations so not knowing if I was going to get the next one, I jumped on this deal and figured win win either way. Didn't really expect a win, win just maybe one win. Just stepped back and decided I was going to do something for me this time.

#5 ·
We are still processing all the paper work and legal stuff. I'm pretty sure he was able to get those. I know my son tried to get some km2's through him a year ago or so and wasn't able to. I know there are two suppliers for the area and I don't think anyone tries to reach beyond them. My son ordered his online so I want to reach out and help people get the tires they want.

#10 ·
Hey Jim were you just wanting the good ole bfg mt's ? My son told me they came out with a new tread but I haven't looked at them yet.
It's been an adventure so far but I still haven't had any regrets doing this. Still spending late evenings and weekends trying to clean the place up but it's getting there. Just about got my four post alignment lift ready to go.

#11 · (Edited)
Yep, MTs.I've seen the new tread. It's not much different and looks like it should be as good as the old one. A couple of months ago I found the receipt from the last set I got in October of 2005. They were $137.50 each, with an alignment check, mounting, balancing, taxes and old tire disposal - $550.00 out the door. Think I can do that again? :D

#12 ·
Wow, that was a good deal. I just figure the mounting and balancing in on the price. I hate all the extra they throw at you after they give you a tire price. The only extra I charge is a fifty cent per tire Missouri tax that I have to show and two dollars per tire if you leave them because that's what I have to pay to have them picked up. What size are you running?

#26 ·
I bought myself one of those $100 grooving irons and you can have some fun with some old tires. I got the 1/8 , 1/4 , and 3/8 tip with mine. I grooved up the thorn turds and it made a huge difference. If anyone here gets one, I recommend opting for the 220 plug. 110 works but it takes awhile to heat up but once it does, it's good to go. The 3/8 tip will suck the heat out of it really fast though.

#27 · (Edited)
OK, I have to rant about something. Tire shop is going good and all but I want to complain about TPMS systems. Not so much the systems as much as people. Car manufacturers need to just stick with the dummy lights and do away with the read outs on all four corners. It's cold outside today and we have the doors down and the phone rings and there is a lady out front too lazy to walk in but wants me to come out and put 2lbs of air in one tire. I put air in and she says not yet and a little more and not yet. I know it's over so I wait she says oh it's 43 so I say OK I will let some out and she says no let's put them all at 43 grr . I think I'm going to put a quarter machine out front. I do go out of my way to help the elderly but there are a lot of lazy people out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.