Off Roading Forums banner

keep a 4.0 or go to a 383

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Jim_Lou 
#1 ·
Heres the deal..
my scrambler has a 92 4.0 and 4 speed auto from a XJ in it. it's been there for years and runs great.it does however have a LOT of miles on it. Scrambler has a 14 bolt rear and 4.10 gears with 36" tires. the tires/wheels/ gear combination feels perfect.
recently dad and I picked up a 61 vette for a project car. the car had a budget built 383 in it so I installed new aluminum heads, a nice cam, intake, and holley 650. it is a 4 bolt main block and has cross hatching marks still in the cylinder bores. Dad wanted an automatic so he swapped the 4 speed vette trans for a new crate 700r4. The engine ran great but dad decided he wanted a little more so we bought a ls3 to be installed while we have the body off.
now, I can get the small block for much less than they are worth..
But there are still costs.. looking at exhaust, 700r4 to dana 300 adapter, driveshafts, and some odds and ends. I know carbs suck off road, but I also don't wheel the scrambler much and I'm sure I could add injection later.

so..
option 1
leave it alone. aint broke.. runs good...
option 2
find a lower milage 4.0 and dump it in
option 3
spend the $2000 all this will cost me and enjoy the 400 + hp
option
4 add a blower to the small block and sleep in the scrambler

The scrambler is purely a toy that my wife drives around town.

See less See more
#2 ·
My choice would be option 1, but then I'm an old fogey who doesn't see the need for a lot of power in a Jeep. And working on the straight six is a piece of cake compared to a V8 in the same engine bay.

When the need arises I would execute option 2, but not until it's needed. No point in borrowing trouble from the future.

#4 ·
Well I have a similar setup in my scrambler and I had the AMC 360 stroker and over the years I found the stroker equalled a lot of breakage and a lot more money you than you intended to spend. I put the 4.2 back in it last year and love it. Then again, I am getting old so maybe that has something to do with it...

#6 ·
went with option 1.
the Jk already has a 420hp hemi in it.. which is fun.
When I came to CA I had a stroked 4.0 that I built. Out easy I was able to buy 93 octane gas at the pump and it ran great. out here they only sell 91 octane.. and it's really hot. on hot days the stroker would ping pretty bad under load.
I'm a big fan on stock stuff anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.