Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Wasted 305 Smogged!
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2000, 08:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wasted 305 Smogged!

I live in Missouri near St. Louis, and for the past three years I've had to get my carbureted, stock-engine 86 305 K5 Blazer smog tested. And for three years in a row, I failed the test each time. But lucky for me, I knew the tester and magically I was able to pass the test after a couple of tries. I have known for years that my 305 with 200k+ miles on it was tired and usually a little out of tune. And of course, the valve guide seals have been gone for at least ten years. I also knew that I would never put a dime in that 305 and that someday I would build a great fuel-injected 350 for the truck. I thought that the time had finally come to plop down the big bucks for the 350 fuelie install since the St. Louis area now requires the dynamic-treadmill emissions test at state-run facilities, but....

I decided to take the old behemoth up to the new smog facility to get the bad news of failing the new test over with and use it as an excuse to rush a new motor into the truck. But before I went up there, I took the old 4.10-geared bucket of potatoes out on the highway to heat up the converter and blow out the cob webs. I ran about 6 miles up and down the highway in second and third gear (700R4) running about 3000-4000 RPM. I even coaxed a second gear scratch out of the tired drivetrain. It was good and hot when I pulled into the testing station, AND THEN IT PASSED THE NEW TEST!!!! Now I can wait on that engine rebuild a little longer since our new test is good for two years. This will give me plenty of time to get my new motor built right. However, the 305 will be on its way to the junkyard by Christmas if all goes well, but I still can't believe it passed! To top things off, the tester told me that he now knew what the largest size tire that his treadmill can handle (33x12.50's). You should have seen the 16 year old's eyes when he stepped on the gas and the truck began wiggling back and forth on the treadmill. I thought it was gonna greak loose from the machine! -and then it passed!!!

Bottom line: heat the old motors up and get that converter cookin before you test.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome