Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Ignition Problem (TeamRush)
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 05:04 PM
TeamRush
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJeeps View Post
Update=

i probed the light from pos. battery terminal to green wire terminal lead to coil: the light was on for 'Run" and then was definitely on (seemed to flash) while trying to start.

i believe this means the module is good.
TAKE THE COIL CONNECTOR OFF THE COIL AND PROBE THE WIRE TERMINAL!

Once the coil connector is off the ignition coil, you can leave the ignition switch on longer and not heat up the coil or resistor wire.

With the COIL CONNECTOR OFF THE COIL,
Hook your TEST LIGHT TO BATTERY POSITIVE,
And probe the 'Green' Wire in the coil connector while cranking.
You will most DEFINITELY get a 'FLASHING' if the module is working.

If you leave the coil hooked up and do the test,
The coil works like a capacitor, and will cause the test light to 'Ramp On' and 'Ramp Off' instead of giving you a good, solid, quick flash.

Quote:
i tested the spark from one of the plug wires yesterday and it seemed fine. Consistent and repeating spark.
Then that tells me the ignition switch is getting current to the ignition coil, the module,

AND,
The distributor trigger, module and ignition coil are working as designed...

Quote:
The voltage before the coil resister reads @ 12v. The resistance of the resister reads @ 2 ohms.
But the voltage after the resister (very hot, but won't do anymore) reads less than 1 volt. This doesn't seem good.

TAKE THE COIL CONNECTOR OFF THE COIL!
The coil is a DEAD SHORT when the key switch is on,
And the engine IS NOT running!

With the coil connector disconnected from the ignition coil,
The resistor ('Red' wire) should show about 12 volts or slightly less.

With the coil connector disconnected, you should get a 'Dim' test light when your test light is connected to battery NEGATIVE and you are probing the 'RED' wire...

This is because when you are testing an OPEN circuit with a resistor, the resistor won't show up on a voltage test.

When you use a TEST LIGHT, the BULB is the load, and the resistor will show up since there is a current draw through it.

2 Ohms is fine for the resistor wire, especially if you were testing it with the coil attached!

Quote:
But the sparks are flying, and module is doing its thing. The coil resistance is primary about 3 ohms, secondary @ 9,000 ohms.
3 Ohms primary and 9,000 Ohms secondary is fine for the Jeep/Motorcraft coil.

So Many Cats, So Few Recipes...

Last edited by TeamRush; 07-06-2009 at 05:06 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome