Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - trailer tires
Thread: trailer tires
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Caver Dave
Mud in my Veins

Been pondering the switch to radials myself bro...

Like you:
- My trailer tires are old bias ply, not dry rotted, but worn funny
- Will NOT run regular Load Range "C" auto tires
- Experienced a blown tire a couple years back and could only find a radial ($$$$) replacement in BFE east TN. Of course, 3 days after I return from the trip, a bud gave me another new bias already mounted

I've been told that running a mix of bias & radials is a bad combo, just like on a vehicle. We all know that running radials on the front & bias on the rear should technically never be a problem... however, get into an accident with that towed load and watch the investigators (LEO & insurance) break out the microscope looking to find fault/excuse to deny a claim!

I'm also debating a set of radial "D" range trailer tires. I *think* they can be sourced reasonably from the 2-3 travel trailer places (they use the same weird size & load range) within 5 miles of the house. My trailer is used almost exclusively on 2-4 hour (1 way) jaunts at highway speeds and maybe the radials could eek out another MPG from the towrig?

However, I LOVE the toughness of a bias tire! Both the current trailer tires & Swampers on the Jeep have proven themselves over & over... where *everyone* I know running radials on their trailers has constant issues (brand new radials blowing out after a few 100 miles, cupping, etc)! The local wheelers seem to think it's a manufacturer/brand issue, but LoMod has had problems with the "preferred" brand. I may have read that radial trailer tires are only expected to live (tread wise) for some ridiculously low mile count?

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome