Off Roading Forums banner

9 leafs -soa

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  bandhmo2 
#1 ·
Can you run spring under on the back and spring over on the front on a 76 cj5? Hint--- trying to get driveshaft angle at rear down.

#3 ·
Yes, you 'can' run front driveshaft only....it's real easy if you have a D300 with twin shift sticks....

As for SUA in the rear and SOA in the front....is suspect your jeep would look a lot like one of those Ford Ranger Wana-be Baja trucks where the front is aiming at the stars.

If driveline angle is an issue and you don't have a CV driveshaft yet.....my advice would be to stop trying to be cheap.....no mater how hard you try, you are not going to get rid of driveline vibrations with a stock ds and any kind of lift......aint gonna happen....

If there is a decent driveline shop in your area, they should be able to build you a good CV ds for about $200-250.

If you are wanting to go SOA...do the SOA first making sure to point the pumpkin towards the xfer case....then measure for the ds.

#6 ·
Goofy to jeep dawg

HEY MAN ALL I NEEDED WAS A GOOD ANSWER AND ILL TRY JUST WHAT YOUR ADVICE SAID. MY REAR ds IS ONLY ABOUT 14 IN. AND MY GUESS AT ABOUT A 45 DEG. BUT ITS A BIT ANGLED TOO SIDE TO SIDE. (THIS CJ5 WILL NEVER SEE MUD OR ROCKS ONLY A SATURDAY NIGHT CRUSE ) BUILT 350 THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

dex

#8 ·
Running front drive only on pavement is not fun. Also being a pavement cruiser and having a d30 front with I'm guessing a "healthy" 350 isn't going to last long. If it's a pavement cruiser drop the t-case a couple inches to help flatten out the drive shaft angle. I'd much rather have rear wheel drive than front wheel.

#9 ·
Ok with wild ideas about driveline

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IT WOULD TAKE TO JUST RUN 2 WHEEL DRIVE AND GET THE DRIVE SHAFT ANGLE DOWN IN THE REAR AND JUST LEVE THE LOCK HUBS UNLOCKED IN THE FRONT WITH NO DRIVE SHAFT, MAYBE NO TRANSFER CASE?? lol lol MY 1ST JEEP CJ5 STREET ONLY??? JUST A GUESS IN THE DARK???

READ UP MY POST AND MY PICS I HAVE POSTED LAST FEW YEARS??

DUAAAA

#14 ·
I am not really sure what you are asking here. Some details of your intent would really help.

Yes you can run SOA and SUA as a mix. Some full size Jeeps are setup that way stock. They use flatter springs and or higher frame mounts on the SOA end and more curved springs and or lower frame mounts on the SUA end. None of this does anything for driveline angle.

Driveline angle is determined by the difference in height between the transfer case and axle yoke, and the length between them. So if you want lift then you pay in higher driveline angles. How you got that lift really does not effect the angles under static conditions. SOA tends to have more axle wrap and lead to other driveline angle issues under load, but that can be removed with a traction bar.

What the hell are you trying to do with this Jeep anyway?

#17 · (Edited)
Dex, I should have been clearer in my previous post. When I asked what you are planing with this Jeep, not a very clear question in hindsight. What I was getting at is what do you want from the Jeep and how do you use it, how many miles of driving. If it is driven rarely and for short distances to impress the girls, with no hard acceleration and a small engine. That is very different from many miles a year and or hard acceleration on pavement and a strong engine. And that is different still from a rig that will be used anywhere traction is questionable. It would also really help to know what engine, transmission, transfer case, lift, axles, and tires you have.

I suppose I could type out a full description of what I would recommend for each case. However, you would only care about the case that applied to you, and I hate to type.

Good detailed questions with information, result in good answers. Questions missing tons of information and intent, result in poor to worthless answers. It does not help that it sounds like you intend to use this Jeep in a way that many of use here find odd. Many including myself will still try to help but without good background information it is impossible to give good advise. You are asking us to shoot in the dark, and many like me would like to wait for dawn. So say exactly what the deal is and you may get some good information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.