Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Water-Proofing Engine/Wireing
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:27 PM
TeamRush
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker Terra View Post
I am Looking for a cheap and easy way to semi water proofe my electrical stuff such as disributer and coil under my hood. I am ussually not deep enough to be to my hood, and I dont have an electric fan, but when I go through too many puddles or water holes fast, it kills my engine untill the wiring drys out. Once the wiring and distributer dries out, it starts right up

I was wondering if I could simply take some silicone caulking and pul it around the outside of all the seals of the disributer and coil and such, But before I did so, I wanted to make sure that it woundn't make anything heatup and burn out......

Whats your Ideas??

thanks
Since you didn't list what year/kind of Jeep, or what ignition system you have, I'll have to 'Spit-Ball' this question...

DO NOT use 'Silicone' type RTV sealer, or anything with an acidic smell to it (Vinegar smell)
The acids in the silicone will rot/corrode/rust your wiring faster than you can even imagine it!

Most of the time when the engine 'Drowns Out' and the Jeep is a '78 to '90,
It's one of two things...

Water In The Distributor Cap,
(Either from condensation from rapid cooling when the cap got 'Sloshed', or from outside water actually entering the cap through vents or faulty cap sealing to the distributor.

Condensation can be kept to a minimum by spraying the inside of the distributor cap, rotor and cap adapter with WD-40.
Don't cheap out here, buy the real brand name WD-40 and don't be afraid to use it!

If you use the WD-40, remember your distributor cap, rotor, ect. will collect carbon from the center button like crazy, so you will have to clean it out regularly...

OR,
The coil terminals getting muddy.

Many times, the distributor is blamed for 'Drowning' out when it's actually the salts and conductive properties of the mud that's coating the coil terminals and shorting the coil out...

Since I have NO IDEA of what ignition you are using, I can't really be more specific than that...
---------------------------------------------------

This is a 'For Instance'...
If you do the 'TeamRush' upgrade to the '78 to '90 distributor (Large Cap, Tall Rotor, Reasonable Plug Wires) you can seal the distributor cap adapter down to distributor with weather strip adhesive (Gorilla Snot),
And the Larger Ford Cap has a groove on it's underside that mates with the cap adapter on top.

This is a V-8 distributor with the cap adapter (light gray) and upsized distributor cap (Dark gray) and reasonable spark plug wires...

Here is an I-6 with the 'TeamRush' upgrade, cap adapter, large cap, taller rotor,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the next part, you must remember one principal...
"WHERE GREASE IS, WATER CAN'T BE"
Don't spare the dielectric grease! Buy the large tube, and don't be afraid to use it LIBERALLY!
Excess can be wiped off, and it doesn't hurt anything!

You simply put some dielectric grease in that groove before you put the cap on the last time and that grease will seal the cap to the adapter without restricting the removal of the cap the next time you need to inspect/service the ignition.

See the groove in the outside edge of this Ford style cap?

Put some dielectric grease in there and the water simply can't get in through that joint between adapter and cap anymore!

Swabbing up the inside of the coil wire ends and the spark plug boots with dielectric grease will help keep moisture from entering that connection.

I also pull the boot back from the wire, and work dielectric grease in that connection to keep it watertight also.

You should unplug the distributor trigger wiring from it's harness and fill that connector with dielectric grease.

You should unplug the module connectors, clean them, and add dielectric grease to those also!

Remember, your coil wire connector, although having exposed terminals, can benefit from dielectric grease also!

A cover over the coil connector will help keep the conductive mud off the coil low voltage connections,
And using dielectric grease in both sides of the terminal boot will help keep the water out of the wire/coil terminal.

Last edited by TeamRush; 05-15-2009 at 09:40 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome