Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Jeep TH400/quadratrac to TH400/dana20
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Caver Dave
Mud in my Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by level4designs View Post
I think I heard the adapter plate is weak, novak makes just a plate strengthener? I know if it doesn't bolt up, they make a kit to do it, but htey are so damn expensive...
No sure which "adapter" you're referring to, but...

The *REQUIRED* bellhousing (BOC pattern case)-to-(AMC) block adapter is cast iron... never seen one broken or cracked. You'll also need to grab the flexplate for this setup, as the QT flexplate offsets the wrong direction. *IF* the '74 has a 360, you should be good to use it without re-balancing. If not, haul it to a shop with your QT flexplate and have it balanced to match.

However I'm guessing you're asking about the "pot metal" (actually [poorly] cast AL) TH-400-to-D20 adapter is a POS. Since it acts as the aft mounting point for the TH-400/D20, most of them suffer from the mounting feet/ears being broken off or worn funky. My next project is to devise a "slip-on/bolt-on girdle" for the adapters mounting section... to either rehab a broken mount or reinforce a non-broken mount. That being said, I've heard of the adapters cracking thru the body, etc., but believe this was likely an issue caused by the mount breaking/sloppy connection allowing it to bind. The feet on mine were completely gone, so a chunk of heavy angle was notched and bolted directly to the D20 for mounting. Has held up the past 7+ years of abuse. However, if money *wasn't* an object, it'd definitely be sporting one of the aftermarket (AA, Novak, BullTear) billet adapters...

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome