Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - new truck ?s
Thread: new truck ?s
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 11:05 AM
jdoggmoney
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I would stay away from a diesel in your case. IMO you have to "use" a deisel enough to justify the added costs associated with them. The average person will not "use" a diesel truck enough to offset the added costs. Diesels cost more to purchase than comparible gas burners, they cost more to maintain than comparible gas burners and they cost more to fuel than comparible gas burners. If you think can get enough "use value" out of a diesel over the time you will own it to counter these costs, it may be worth more thought.

I purchased an 06 F150 Crew Lariet 4x4 about a year ago. Love it. I have a friend with a 03 F250 V10 4x4. Loves it. And another friend with an 05 Chevy crew 1500 4x4. Loves it. Yet one more friend with a standard cab, 99ish Dodge 2wd 5.9. We pull Jeeps to CO together each year. Here are differences as I see them.

The V10 pulls nicely, can run away from the rest of us pulling our Jeeps down the interstate. However, it is impossible for him to average more than about 10mpg for any tank of fuel unless he takes a family trip empty... not sensible when he has a Cherokee available. Otherwise the truck drives and rides great.

The Chevy owner claims that while the rest of us are pulling our Jeeps at 70-75, getting less than 10mpg, he maintains about 11-12. I kinda doubt this, but have no reason not to believe him. Otherwise truck pulls nice and is comfortable hauling the family around. Unloaded daily mileage he says he can manage a 15-17mpg average.

The Dodge owner said while pulling his Jeep his truck wouldn't hold overdrive at speeds over 65mph. Fuel milage also suffered, below 10mpg. 60-65 was better for both the trans and mpg. I haven't ridden in or driven his truck so don't know what is like for every day driving.

My F150 sucked fuel trying to pull at 70-75. I'm not sure why I would need to pull a vehicle trailer with a pickup truck at such a speed, but we did try this as our group was a little impatiet leaving for CO last year. Once we settled in at about 65, everyone was averaging 10-12mpg, even the V10. Since that trip I purchased an Edge Evolution programmer. Best $275 (on sale + rebate) I have ever spent. My 5.4 woke right up and I am able to adjust transmission shift settings. I can't wait to haul the Jeep again. I average 12-15mpg daily driving the truck, 18-21 highway, mostly depending on the season. Warm weather helps a ton.

Also... When I purchased the F150, I upgraded from a 1992 GMC extended cab 4x4. I will never buy another personal use truck with less than four "real" doors... period. I believe the Ford has more rear seat legroom, sits slightly higher overall and the a$$ end doesn't seem to droop as badly when hauling towing.

Hope this helps.

Is this the only hammer you've got?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome