Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Wiring electric fan for thermostat and dash toggle???
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Warthog

Question Wiring electric fan for thermostat and dash toggle???

Hey guys,

Been doing some searching around here and with google, but couldn't seem to find a good answer to this issue.

My clutch fan is on it's way out, so I picked up a good electric fan out of a 5.9l Grand Cherokee at the Jeep wreckers and plan on adding it to the old 4.0l in the YJ. Now what I would like to do is have a three position toggle on the dash as well as have an adjustable thermostat:
position 1 - overide on(incase the the fan doesn't kick on for some reason)
position 2 - overide off(for any reason i would want to turn it off, say water crossing or something)
position 3 - auto(controlled by thermostat)

Now I am no wiring genius, but I can follow instructions pretty accurately. Will this be possible to do, or am I trying to fit 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag? If I have the override on, is it worth it to have the adjustable thermostat, or should I just go with a good single temp one? Or can it be wired to just take a reading right from the stock temp sensor?

Also, it seems everyone and there dog makes fan wiring kits and adjustable thermostat kits. Any suggestions on which one to go with?

Thanks again for the help.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome