Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - question on seals and axles for cj8 project full floater
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
myscrambler1
Old Hand

Question axle length

thanks yes that helps i am after that same thing on these.............not sure on the brake backing plate what you mean but next week i plan on taking the two dana 44 to shop to have the snap ring cut in and having a small amount of the dia removed..............about 4 or 5 inches back from the 30 spline end so when the axle is slid into the amc housing the chevy small bearing splindle will go into place............main thing i want correct is not to take any material off where the seals will go as they are just about perfect now.............just need to polish the finsih up ........the other end of the axles i am going to wait untill i have the outer ends the way i want them and then i will have a much better time getting the length correct.............also what if when i get the first part done having the axles a little long and getting the gearset splines cut , plenty long so i can cut off the ends...........nothing on that end is their that would be hurt if the splines were cut longer than needed also i will be replacing the spiders gear set with the locker unit which i dont think will make any difference.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0113.jpg (98.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0116.jpg (47.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 142495290_o.jpg (94.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0101.jpg (84.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0100.jpg (84.7 KB, 0 views)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome