Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - question on seals and axles for cj8 project full floater
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 10:22 PM
bandhmo2
Veteran

I am not quite sure what you are asking about axle length, but here are some drawings that may help. I think I posted them before but maybe not. The double lines crossing the semi float axles represent the plate that holds in the original bearing. I then lined up the spindle above it with the hub drawn on it. The axle sticking out of the old hub is a 19 spline axle and snap ring groves as it would be if on the front. I drew in the drive flanges and cap I plan to use so that I could figure the new snap ring grove location in the 30 spline axle. My idea was to get an axle long enough to stick into the spider gears the same as stock, be held from moving in by the snap ring against the drive flange and be held from moving out by the hub cap. I do not know if the length and snap ring location I used would or would not work with locking hubs.

Note, the drawing is off a little since I forgot the thickness of the brake backing plate which is about 1/8". So my axles will be a little to long, I made the splines a little long so it should be okay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1663.jpg (72.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1664.jpg (64.5 KB, 4 views)

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome