Off Roading Forums banner

64 scout 80 sluggish problems

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  baldscout 
#1 ·
Ahh first time on here; been workin on getting my 64 scout 80 up and running... Now that it starts and roughly idles, i can drive it only in first and reverse in low range two wheel without it dying right out. I can only think that the reason I can't get it rolling more than three feet in high range is due to a vacuum leak; is this on the right track? I tried to diagnose it with a can of starting fluid, spraying it down the vacuum lines and gaskets to no avail. Is the vacuum advance prone to failure? I do have fresh 87 oct gas, fresh oil, good coolant, and a new air cleaner. Any ideas?

#3 ·
How long has it sat? With it running rough, the first thing I suspect is fuel, then spark as it does run. Have you replaced the fuel filter? How do the plugs look? What is the timing set at? What engine? Points distributor or Gold Box? What are your compression values?

First thing first, it starts, so you have spark albeit rough. Could be a bad wire or faulty plug. If you have a fresh fuel filter installed, and it's not been sitting for a long time (more than 6 months), you can almost rule out carb buildup and go towards spark issues. Check your timing and dwell (if points system) as well as plug condition. Compression will let you know if you have a bad one or not.

Post back up with what you find. Check other forums as well, binderplanet.com, ihonlynorth.com, JustIH & binderbulletin.org have tons of information and may help you on your quest to get a good running rig again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.