Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Anti-Freeze
Thread: Anti-Freeze
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 08:28 AM
JeepDawg
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Nothing really 'wrong' with using straight anti-freeze except for the heat transfer characteristic. In concentrations greater than 50%, the ability of the anit-freeze to remove heat from your engine is reduced. Somehow, a figure of about 20% comes to mind.

What you are describing is one of the reasons GM went with it's Dexcool. Because of the mix of Al and iron in the engine, they came up with that mixture that created less problems.

To some extent, you can do the same thing buy using distilled water. It will give you the same effect (no deposits) without loosing cooling effeciency....and it's a lot cheaper than anti-freeze.

As for the bearing failure....those are supposed to be sealed bearings....what liquid you use should not matter......any chance you have the belts too tight?

Where did you buy it from? Unless you bought it from the dealer, it is most likely a rebuilt unit....and most of the crap coming out of Auto Zone and other discount auto parts stores is basically crap. I buy from NAPA only. Learned the hard way.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome