Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Tranfercase leaking
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
vermontjeepguy

Tranfercase leaking

Hey guys,
Let me start off with, I just put a Dana 300 and a T-176 4 Speed in my CJ7.
When I brought them home they we already married and both were full of water!
So I did the switch and when I was putting them in I noticed a small hole in the adapter from the tranfercase to the tranny. It looked like it was factory, it did not seem like it was drilled?
So tonight I took it out for a test run…..As soon as I got in some hard going, the cluch linkage broke…. Well didn’t break but lost a clip that holds it together and then the adjuster fell out (could not find it). So I limped it home in first, because I didn’t want to speed shift it.
When I got back and looked under it, I saw gear oil leaking from the transfercase. It was nasty looking (all water and a little oil). I drained all the bad stuff out a few time before I put it back together and filled it with fresh stuff.

So I could not tell for sure were it was coming from, but it looked like it was from that small hole in the adapter piece.

Can anybody tell me if that hole is factory? And will it leak from there if the vent is plugged or if it is over filled? Do the tranfercase and tranny mix gear oil with each other?

Thanks guys.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome