Off Roading Forums banner

OT Blacktop sealing

735 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JeepDawg 
#1 ·
Well looks like I will be the owner of a 1/4 acre parking lot near the end of the week. It attaches to our property. It will give me the needed access to build my new garage/workshop/wearhouse. Anyway I need to seal the blacktop on the 1/4 acre lot and after pricing it out and recieving a bid of 1.00 square foot. I am concidering doing it myself looks like I just have to clean it good fill all the cracks and seal it over. I am curious if I am missing anything here or am I about right?

#3 ·
Congrats Jeff on getting it....I'm assuming that this now solves the problem with the Adam Henry that owns the property on your 3 other sides?

Question? Why do you need to seal it? Is it in that bad of shape?

Lets see...1/4 acre = 10,890 square feet...or about $11K based on the estimate...that is a pretty good size parking lot.

Personally, I would buy a gallon of 'kill everything'...pour it in all the cracks and around the edge...give it a week...remove remaining weeds with the whacker....clean up reall good...seal the cracks as you noted....and leave it. You would be surprised at what a good pressure washer will do to asphalt.....

Now you gotta go build that fence....and barn...and don't forget the pool room.

#4 ·
Actually John the jerk struck within hours of the survey stakes going in. He called the serveyor and demanded he move the pins and reported us to the zoning commission because he "knows" we are going to park vehicles in that lot and he wants them to stop us from doing so.. Funniest part is he demands that he be contacted before any fence is built! I guess the surveyor straightened him out because the pins have not moved. I am setting the corners tmorow so those points don't "dissappear" The zoning guy said he looked like he was going to have some kind of attack when they told him I was putting a 80x90 on the lot. It is actually a 30x40, but I woul have liked to seen his face when that was said. Someone, I am asuming him, went to the sellers and told them we were going to start a junkyard on the 1/4 acre although by ordinace it requires 2 acres to even apply and may not be within a city limit..... It is getting funny.

ANYWAY the lot has some cracks in it and some of the aggragate is showing white. I always thought that ment it needed sealing when that happens. I just don't want to have to replace it in my lifetime.

#5 ·
It sounds like you could have fun with this guy. Am I correct in assuming that the zonning office is on your side?

Lets see....what could you do?

Invite the traveling circus to park their trucks on your lot for a day?

Put up a sign saying you are going to start a nudist colony?

Invite all of your jeep buddies over to park their jeeps.

Start a Used Car lot.

Put up a sign..."Future home Indiana Church of Scientology"

I'm sure the rest of the guys could 'offer' some suggestions. In fact, lets have a contest to see who can come up with the best sign.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.