Off Roading Forums banner

Scout motor

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JeepMan 
#1 ·
A co-worker is needing to replace the engine in his Scout. Needs a 304 or 345. Anyone have any ideas? Also, anyone know what's available to go with a SBC or 5.0 Ford? Thanks.

#2 ·
Most of the late 70's or early 80's 6 cylinder scouts used AMC motors (a variant of the 258). If you find a bellhousing for one of these, I've seen a lot of AMC 360 powered Scouts. After all, you know that old Binder would wheel a lot better with a Jeep motor in it.

#3 ·
There is a IH Scout forum here on ORC. I had a friend a that threw a rod in his IH Scout V8 345. I helped him run around doing compression checks on several. He chose a free one. Turned out to have a crack in one of the heads, which was found after another friend convinced him that it was just too obvious of an opportunity to do a rebuild. I was un-employed at that time so I helped with the rebuild too. You & your friend are probably not close to Colorado so I doubt that I could offer any other info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.