Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - New guy, old bike (DT175)
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 04:52 AM
Jetbox

New guy, old bike (DT175)

Hey all, I'm new here. I'm about to bring a 1975 dt175 back to life, and could use some advice. It's a nice little bike, I got it from my father in law who mothballed it back in the late 70's. It's got 1600 miles on the clock and the paint still shines! I know it runs, or at least it did a few years ago...
Anyway, I'm making a parts list. I'm gonna need new tires and I'm wondering what sizes to get - I'd get stock sizes, but nobody makes straight 3.5-18 and 3.0 -19's that I've seen. I'd like to go a little wider just for looks too. What are you guys running?
Has anyone ever seen one of these bikes with a decompression lever? Mine has one, but the parts book only lists them for the 250... and my lever's broken.
I'm thinking it's a good idea to get the old metal reed out of there - any opinions on a replacement?
Anyone got a set of signal lights kicking around?
And finally, any maintenance (other than the basics) that you can think of to do before I crank 'er up?
Thanks guys. I'll appreciate any input, and look forward to meeting you all.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome