Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Thermostats
Thread: Thermostats
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Olin18
Keyboard Implanted

Thermostats

Does anyone know if there is anyone out there who makes a Thermostat for a Gen I chevy 350 that is rated for 185* or 190*
I had to replace the T-stat in my jeep this week I wanted to install a 190* stat, and seem to have come to the realization that they seem not exist? Whats up with that.

The cooling system in my jeep works very well. It is a mildly / midly built 350 with a Carb that makes about 300HP. I run good quality water pump, a 4-core AL Rad, and a 2500CFM electric fan with a full shroud.

I had a 180* stat in the Jeep that was not working correctly. It was sticking open and I felt like the Jeep was running too cool. Even with the fan off under easy driving the Jeep would run at 165-175. At very slow speed and in traffic it would creap up after about 5 min to 200 and I would turn the fan on, then instead of staying at 180, it would drop to 165 again... NO good. I think I would rather see my temps in the 190-200 range.

So I wanted a 190* T-stat, But I couldn't find one, so I put a 195 in, and I am not all that happy with it. The jeep runs at 200* and with a hard load on it rises, I have to run the fan almost all the time now, where as before I had to run the fan, almost never. I feel like a 185, or 190 stat would be a happy middle ground.

Does anyone know where I can find one, if I can't get one I think I am going to go back to a 180....

Thanks

Once apon a time I played with legos... Now I have a Jeep

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome