Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - what do you carry in you jeep?
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 11:01 PM
LEVE
Way Outta Control

Re: what do you carry in you jeep?

Here's what I carried in the Jeep in during the Northern Wisconsin winters (Since moving to Washington State... I've trimmed back a bit...):<ul type="square">[*]Normal Hand tools and parts kit.[*]DVM.[*]Chemicals (ATF, Motor Oil, Coolant, etc.)[*]Tape, Duct and Electrician's.[*]Two sleeping bags.[*]Space Blankets.[*]Chemical hand warmers.[*]Flare gun (Pen size).[*]AR-7 Survival rifle w/100 rounds of ammunition.[*]CB.[*]2-Meter Hand held HAM radio.[*]LED flashlight w/spare batteries.[*]Propane Camping stove w/3 bottles of propane.[*]Dried Food for 5 days.[*]Water purifier.[*]Candles for 5 days.[*]Three Bic Lighters.[*]Candy, lots of candy and Beef Jerky![*]Four rolls of toilet SOFT paper.[*]Multiple sizes of zip lock bags.[*]Mess kit.[*]Camping Knife, Fork, Spoon, and collapsible drink cup.[*]Canteen.[*]Road Flares.[*]One box of 36 gal garbage bags (good quality).[*]Hunting knife, Lock back w/serrated blade.[*]Folding shovel.[*]HAM repeater frequencies book.[*]Manual for the Jeep.[*]Manual for the HAM radio.[*]Maps of the general area in which I'd travel.[*]Light reading material.[*]10 cans of my favorite condensed soups.[*]25 hot chocolate packets.[*]Folding saw, fencing hammer, 16 penny nails[*]1/4" poly rope, 100'.[*]10'X8' tarp.[*]Air mattress.[*]WELL stocked First Aid Kit.[*]In the winter I used to stock frozen food in the kit... which always stayed frozen.[/list]
Most of this would fit in a Tupperware lock box...I duplicated the list and kept one in each vehicle.

I'd also modify the list depending on how many kids I had in the vehicle with me, more food, more sleeping bags, etc.

Rotation of the food is important. Each year about the 2nd week of April my family and I would bring in all the food, candy, etc. and have a "Survivor's" banquet. The kid had fun and this way the stock was always rotated. It's nice to have fresher foods in this kit

I haven't listed the vehicle parts spares kit... but that's a must if you're going to drive that vehicle home. List the single points or failure for your vehicle and prepare for them to fail...

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome