Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - fusible link substitute?
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 08:02 PM
highfill

Re: fusible link substitute?

I was driving down a favorite back road the other day when I hit a bump and the Jeep went dead - just like someone had switched off the key. No love from the starter, gauges, nothin'... just like the ignition switch vaporized or something.

Fuses? Good.
Battery voltage? Check.
Jump the starter solenoid? Engine cranks.
Replace ignition switch? Still no love.

After tearing the whole thing apart looking for a short or disconnect, I eventually stumbled across a tiny section of wire right off the starter solenoid that looked just fine but was stretchy and soft. Even the dumb knuckle-dragger in me knew that wasn't right.

So after reading a bit in the Haynes, I realized that I have a fusible link that has given up the ghost. The problem is that it is Light Green, which Haynes tells me is 30 ga.

I cannot find a 30 ga fusible link ANYWHERE. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] The only ones I have found are 14, 16, 18 gauge, or have an amperage rating (different style that looks more like an inline plug).

I'm not really inclined to replace a 30 gauge fusible link with a 130 amp inline fuse - that sounds an awful lot like asking for trouble (as in BURNT JEEP) to me. Can anyone either point me to a source for the 30 gauge fusible link or cross-reference for what to use in its place?

Thanks,
Darren

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome