Off Roading Forums banner

Coolant ovefrflow problem!!!

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  DVLDOG458 
#1 ·
What's up guys? I'm having alittle problem w/ my cooling system. It seems that when I'm driving and I really get on the gas (Floored for 5 seconds or so...) the radiator overflows and dumps all the extra coolant into reservoir container which eventually overflows causing a huge mess. (picture me sitting at a traffic light and antifreeze dumping out over my driver's side front tire) This has happened approx. 20 times. At first I though I overfilled the radiator....Nope. I checked the radiator and it was almost empty. And the engine temp is normal...190.
This all started after I installed the supercharger. I'm currently running a heavy duty radiator (1 year old) Milodon high volume water pump, a new Milodon 160 thermostat, new radiator cap, and I even bought a new coolant resivoir/windshield washer container because the 2nd time this happened it blew the side seam out making it useless.
Hopefully I'm overlooking something......any input would be great.

Thanks,
Jerry D.

#5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Milodon high volume water pump,

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerry, your problem is the high volume water pump. Lucky for you, all you have to do is replace your radiator cap with one that will handle the pressure your high volume water pump is producing. However, you should ask yourself if your other components in your cooling system could handle the pressure. Will your hoses handle it? Depends on what you are using. They probably will, if not, look at braided hoses.

You should be able to find out the pressure from the sales guy or manufacturer. It is probably running around 20psi (guessing) since I think stock runs 13 to 17 psi.

Hope this helps.

#9 ·
I'd replace the cap as dirrected and the tstat. 160 is too cold anyway. Make sure the tstat goes in correctly (I accidently placed one in backwards once /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif) as a last ditch effort drill small holes in the tstat so that water can circulate all the time. Hopefully you will fix it with a higher pressure cap.

#10 ·
* UPDATE *

Well, I guess it's time to install new head gaskets! The test showed some signs of hydrocarbons in the coolant.
So, the question is what head gaskets and intake gaskets should I use so this does not happen again. I'm pretty sure they make special gaskets for blower and nitrous applications.
Please any info would be helpful......this is my 1st supercharged vehicle.

Thanks,
Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.