Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Kymco ATV
Thread: Kymco ATV
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 01:50 PM
craigdge

Re: Kymco ATV

There are several reasons why there is a perception that chinese vehicles suck in the US. Some are grounded, some are probably not. Whether a chinese built rip off of a Honda 50 is more proned to break or not, I don't know.

The single biggest issue is parts. Since many of the rip off brands are being pushed through Checker, PepBoys, Auto Zone, etc, you really don't get a support network when you buy the bike. When I buy a Honda, I know that I'm getting a proven product. I know that I'm getting a network of dealerships, and that in most places across the country, there's going to be someone who knows how to fix them. I know if a throttle cable snaps on the trail, or if I smash open the primary case on a rock, that there will be parts available. Even where parts aren't available, it's rare that you can't get what you're looking for within a week from one of the major japanese companies.

Now whether the chinese companies are improving this, I don't know. I can say however that I know a couple of people who have snapped throttle cables, and have been unable to get replacements on their PepBoys purchased machines.

Are the chinese brands all bad? I really don't know, having never owned one. I probably never will own one, since I am past the mini-bike stage. I'm sure they're OK. One small word on quality- I don't know the brand, but I believe the Checker is selling a 125 cc dirtbike. I couldn't help but take a closer look at it while I was there, and I did feel it was built a little thin, but that is grounded only on looks. You would really have to beat one up and down a trail for a while before you could really make that call.

As a side note, I did think that kymco is interesting. Perhaps it wouldn't be bad to look at one if ArticCat is in support of them. Might solve the parts and service issue...

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome