Off Roading Forums banner

4x4 not engaging

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  GTRider245 
G
#1 ·
I have a 89 Bronco with electronic control 4 wheel drive.
My problem is that when I try to shift into 4 low the transfer case makes a clicking sound and the 4 low light stops blinking. Occasionaly it will go into 4 low, it goes into 4 hi just fine. Do I have a bad control motor or is there something out of adjustment?

G
#2 ·
I have also got a problem with my 89 Bronco with the auto locking hubs and electronic shift 4wd. I select the 4wd and all i hear is the computer click. But the selector light does not come on, and no 4wd =( I am also a little fuzzy on the auto locking hubs? Am i engaging them right? I dunno? Anyone with a little more experience than me have any ideas? Thanks

#3 ·
for both of yall, make sure the truck is stopped and the tranny is in neutral before shifting into or out of 4wd, but especially when using 4lo. some trucks (mine is this way) you can shift into 4hi on the fly while your moving, but its just better for your equipment if your stopped and the tranny is in neutral anyway.

But make sure when shifting into 4lo that your completely stopped and the tranny is in neutral (same goes for takin it out of 4lo).

if that doesnt seem to fix it, it could be a loose or leaky vacuum line, or bad motor. go underneath and look where the motor connects and see what happens when you shift this time, and let me know what you see or hear.

#4 ·
Both of you should read this article - it's a common problem with ESOFs.

If your auto hub locks aren't engaging, swap them for good aftermarket manual hub locks. I prefer MileMarker with the best lock body & the black plastic knob because they're only ~$65/pr with the same LLT warranty as Warn Premiums. For more info on swapping, click my signature & look in the Brakes & Hubs album.

G
#5 ·
Ok...I beat the transfer case motor with a rubber mallet, and the transfer case did shift into 4hi. when i switched it back into 2wd then again tried to go to 4hi, it did not shift again. According to the above reply and the attached article(which is very helpful) I will tear it down to clean and repair instead of an expensive replacement. I'll keep you informed of what I have found. Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.