Off Roading Forums banner

In tank fuel pump with nipples?

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  IN2DEEP 
#1 ·
I've dropped my gas tank ('78 CJ5) to repair the fuel sender. It turns out that the float developed a hole and filled with fuel. So that was an easy fix.

Since I have the tank out, I thought I'd chase another issue I've been having. I'm currently running an intank fuel pump from a mustang attached to my CJ sender. I think it's close to being on the bottom of the tank (20 gal. poly tank) but I still think I'm experiencing a sloshing issue when the level of gas gets low. The mustang pump is cylindrical with a screen on the bottom. I'm sure it's not FLAT on the bottom as the poly tank is angled in the rear, and my pick up has to have a bend in it. So I was wondering if there is an intank pump from a different vehicle that uses a nipple on each side. Something that I could put a hose on and be sure that I'm picking fuel up from the bottom of the tank.

#2 ·
I'll have to pull it out but I think that the one frome my GMC van is like that but I'll have to look up the pressure again. I also think some Dodle Lasers and Omni turbos were like that also. I'll have to check my books.

Since you have it out, how about some pictures of your fuel pump setup.

I'll be doing the same thing if I put the V6 out of my van into my CJ.

#4 ·
The OEM 20 gal. fuel tank has a built in well and baffles in which the siphon sits. So, if you've got the siphon for the pump in that well, sloshing should not affect the fuel pick up. If you get so low on fuel that the well goes dry, no amount of suckin's going to help.

#5 ·
I'm sure I looked inside my tank when I first purchased it. I don't recall any baffles or well. I'll have to take another look. But I'm sure my "pick up" is near the factory spot. It's just the fact that the pump is angled towards the bottom that is keeping the "sock" from laying flat on the bottom of the tank.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking the pump is putting out about 35 lbs of pressure. It's a factory pump from a '90 mustang. Nothing too high performance about the motor, no unusual requirements.

I've re-installed the pump in the tank. So I'll have to pull it to get you a good picture of it. Not a big deal, I'm just not in the habit of tinkering during the week. I'll have the pictures later in the week. Or at least by the end of the weekend....

#8 ·
Thanks Leve for posting the pic. I have three or four more pics at home that I wanted to post. But no matter how I tried, the computer wouldn't post it for me. Are you using the "image" button down below? It wouldn't do a THING for me. I tried using [] with the address in between like I used to do. But that wouldn't work either.

Can you give me a clue? Is it me? My computer?

#11 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Can you give me a clue? Is it me? My computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's you. The automatic buttons haven't worked for months. When you tried to post it manually you left off the name of the file, "-FuelSender016.jpg" I think it would have worked had you done that. When I post a picture I view the attachment, copy what's in the address bar, and paste it into the [image]***[/image] statement

#12 ·
I've sent LEVE some pics. He's going to post them for me. Hopefully it'll clear up all questions. To get the wires out, I just drilled a hole in the mounting plate of the sender, pulled the wires through (surrounded by some shrink tubing and a grommet) then installed it like a factory sender.

I'll try to post some other pics after LEVE does his magic. I kind of figured I was doing something wrong. These computers are so finicky. It KNOWS what I'm trying to do..... it should go ahead and do it. Stop stressing me!!!

Thanks for the help, fellas!!

Drew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.