Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - OT:Hurricane Question
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:33 AM
MarineOpLaw
Can't Get Enough

Re: OT:Hurricane Question

[ QUOTE ]
I was just looking at pictures on CNN and am stunned know the people in the dome lost everything and are devastated BUT... I am totally serious when I ask. Why would you literally SH!T where you slept? Out of all of those people you would think after a couple of day's someone would step up and try to organize and lead. Those pictures show people had crapped on the kitchen countertops, on the floor where they slept and anywhere else they happen to be standing. I am truly baffled. Does anyone have a rational explanation? I must be stupid because I can't wrap my thick skull around it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweatpea, God bless ya for starting this thread... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bow.gif[/img] many 'like' thoughts been running through my mind as well. Guess 'great minds think alike', eh? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warning.gif[/img] long & rambling...]

Just as others have said, or alluded to, I cannot provide a full answer to your question... But, can provide some personal experience/observation(s) gained from some foreign military travels/operations...

When we (22nd MEU) deployed to Western Africa to evacuate non-combatants from Congo, then actually evacuated 2500 from Sierra Leone, I received a good 'life lesson' and some telling insight into colonialism and 'folks'... In the Congo I saw what used to be a beautiful colonial cities/communities... but it was very apparent to me, once the colonizing powers were 'run out', there was no more building, maintenance or repair pursued by 'the natives'. IMHO only the bare minimum was/is done to keep the communities functioning. I saw a lot of what I would call 'loafing' by able-bodied males, and <u>avoidable</u> squallid living (conditions) by the populace. Personally-observed examples include children & adults squatting in the middle of busy sidewalks to leave their 'calling cards' - this was in the capital city.

Once we left the Congo, we steamed north to do the mega-evacuation of 2500 via helicopter and completed in three days of flying. (Ambassador had told us there were 250 US citizens to be evacuated. We ended up w/ over 10x the number... of all nationalities.) Our Marines and sailors gave up their living spaces for the evacuees... who promptly sh!t & p!ssed in every nook and cranny on the ship, and then stole anything (to include personal items of their rescuers) not bolted down... and many things that were locked up! The post-operation cleaning was incredible. Even worse, some of the folks evacuated on Day #1, processed and transported to the safe haven (Conakry, Guinea), somehow made their way back to Sierra Leone and lined up to be RE-evacuated on day 3 &/or 5! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] (Why, you ask? G-R-E-E-D!) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

Yep, 'you can take folks outa the [insert environment of your choice], but you cannot take [it] outa them'. Might also add this truism 'Can lead a horse to water, but cannot make 'em drink.' A few others apply, but I'll forgo listing them... for now.

Must admit, the difference in values/traits/etc I've observed between city & country dwellers (broadly defined) is like night & day. The 'gimme every/anything'-crowd and the 'self-sustainers'.

Finally, for those who have never 'visited' New Orleans, didja know the city was full of 'drive-in frozen daquiri stands? Like a Baskin Robbins in terms of flavors... as memory serves accurately, I believe the jumbos were around 60 ounces. Supposedly, as long as the straw was not inserted, it was not considered an open container by the local gendarmes. Huh?!?!?!

Pathetic, isn't it?

[Off ramble]

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome