Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Am I getting myself in trouble ???
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Jim_Lou

Re: Am I getting myself in trouble ???

[ QUOTE ]
$0.02 (or $6.74 in Canadian ---- I can never remember the conversion.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob, be prepared for some friendly ribbing here. It's been going on for years. Of course, you would get to pick on us, too, except that we have no flaws to make fun of. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As for the mechanicals, it's typical of the stuff put into light trucks and passenger cars in the early '70s. Or more likely mid- to late-'60s - Jeep was seldom on the leading edge of technology.

Listen for clanking, banging, thumping, clicking engine noises, transmission popping out of gear, whine or rumbling from the wheels or axels. Look for oil in the coolant, froth in the oil, opaque sludge in the master cylinder . . .

Nothing I can think of that would be unique to a Jeep as apposed to a typical 4X4 pickup of the time.

And Pete is exactly right. Your expectations are significant here. No matter what, an old CJ is going to take more maintenance and be subject to more problems than a new vehicle. Heck, a brand new '72 CJ took more maintenance than a buyer of a modern vehicle would ever tolerate. We learn to carry spares of the unreliable bits. I carry a spare starter drive - broke two of them in the past.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome