Off Roading Forums banner

tire raising problem on cj5

730 views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  farmerbobrainy 
#1 ·
I've noticed that with my cj5 now that if i idle in first and tap the throttle decently i can pull my drivers side tire into the air. While this was a neat trick the first time, i see it being a big problem offroad. It is also wearing out my passenger rear spring really quickly. Is there anyway to make it squat equally in the rear under acceleration? I have an antiwrap bar (modeled after a sams offroad one) that is mounted right next to the pumpkin on the driver side. I was debating whether i would have to put one on the passenger side to even things out. Any suggestions would be apprieciated.

#4 ·
The problem isn't the springs wrapping. The problem is the frame twisting. You have 2 frame rails with a crossmember at the front and the next one by the rear axle. There just isn't enough stiffness to the frame to resist the torsion from the engine.

#5 ·
move the traction bar to the pasanger side, it will help DRAMATICALLY!
also add an extra leaf to the right rea rspring back if it doesnt do enough.

#7 ·
Now which DRIVER'S side tire are you pulling off the ground, front or rear?

Could we have some video?

If this is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif a post, it's time to back out now.

If not:

You need to replace your right rear spring.

a). it's worn out or broken
b). it fell out
c). somebody stole it

If you are going to continue driving this way, you need some 50/50 shocks for it too.

You also need to replace your left front shock.

a). It's stuck
b). it fits a Peterbuilt
c). you have 7 because you think it's kewwwwl

What have you got for a front axle, an aluminum tube with light weight spindles, 3.75 x 18 tires and super light weight rims?

If your having problems handling that 383, maybe you should replace it with a 4-popper until you hone your driving skills. How many months have you had your driver's license?

You can forget off-road. You would be a menace, a danger to anybody else there. If you don't have enough articulation in that front axle to keep form popping a tire off the ground, you couldn't negotiate a small speed bump.

#11 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Well, you are in your finest curmudgeonly form today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bag.gif

Still, me thinks he's been watching nostalgia drags. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

#12 ·
Easy cure - adjust the "go" pedal so it doesn't open the carb all the way?

My wife's M38a1 - almost the same as a CJ-5, pulls the left front up about 2" -- before the right front comes up. She can wheel stand it waaay up -- and she can keep it there for quite awhile - nearly to the top end of 2nd! And that's with only a built 350/350/D-18/locked 5.38's on dirt with 31's!
She loves to show off!

She's got way too big a foot too! She loves to wheelie it, but someday it's going to backflip on a hill.

That's why I'm lengthening it about 12-14", putting on 36's, and going YJ springs. (And so it can have a driveshaft longer than 9".) Been thinking of going 4 link long arms and coils in the rear, but that will make it easier to wheelie.
I want it fun, but safe.

It's just too short for that much power.

#13 ·
Its pulling the front drivers side tire off the ground. I dont have a problem driving with the 383, I've been doing it for a while now, this is just something i noticed after i lifted the jeep and put the antiwrap bar on. I have napa's gas grande shocks on the front, only one on each side. Its a wagoneer dana 44 axle, 35x12.50 tires, steel rims. If i figure out how to work the video function on my digicamera i'll post a video. I'll have to try moving the antiwrap bar to the other side and see if that helps. Would it be a good idea to move it just to the other side of the pumpkin or farther out on the axle?

#14 ·
The side of the differential the torque bar is on shouldn't make a difference. The problem isn't counteracting the axle rotating, the problem is counteracting the torque from the drivetrain. In this case, the passenger side rear spring is getting compressed and the driver's side is getting extended because of the torque of the engine.

#15 ·
My intuition tells me to put it as close to the3 center as you can get it, but I don't have a logical reason other than to apply the force as close as equally to both sides of the frame.

Also, it seems that you have too much roll stiffness in front, and not enough in the back, for that kind of driving. Do you have an anti-sway bar?

Where is the anti-wrap attached to the axle, and is it rigidly attached, or is it a link in bushings? I'm thinking about the forces that it applies to the frame under acceleration.

If it's rigidly attached to the axle, the forward end will try to go up during acceleration, lifting whatever part of the frame it's attached to.

The axle will try to rotate opposit to the direction the wheels are being powered, so a link it will push forward if it's attached below the axle, and pull aft if it's attached above the axle.

Perhaps you can move the anchor points to exploit those effects. But the geometry that works to control big bursts of power driving forward may not be the best geometry for controlling things when crawling over obstacles.

#16 ·
the wrap bard DOES cause it.
the axle is trying to wrap up hard on accel. it forces the triangulated bar up, th ebar is pushing uip o nthe DRIVERS side of the frame rail adding to the torque twist of the jeep. if he adds it to the passanger side rail it will try to counteract the torque twust of the motor.
mine does this ALL the time with a zuki 4 banger!

trust me, move your traction bar to the other side,
mine wont lift the tires off the ground on accel because of my 10" of downtravel at the wheels, but it coems damm close/
there is alsoa reason mine ALWAYS hangs the drivers front tire in the air on uphill climbs................
my traction bar is offset a tad to the drivers as its the only place i could make it fit.

i can give you big air shot of my drivers front tire time and time again with my setup thats offset some to the driver side.
i have very few pictures of a passanger side front in the air, but TONS of drivers ones 4' off the ground. i also have only about 110HP

got plenty more if people dont think thats what is causing it.

heres a movie, watch the truck shift as i clutch it.... the traction bar pushes up.

#18 ·
You're right, Zak. I hadn't considered that the bar would be adding to the engine torque. On the passenger side it would cancel part of the engine's torque.

#19 ·
Little bit of an update. I pulled the antiwrap bar off and its not nearly as bad, but i have springwrap of course. I am going to get it installed on the otherside next fall (jeep is getting parked for the summer while i'm in fl). I also found what was limiting my suspension up front. When i had wheeled it, i didnt have my front shocks installed and it had awesome flex, and i installed shocks that would allow me to fully articulate, but i didnt have clearance from the ubolt plate on droop. So i have about 6 inches of droop, and dented shocks that actually catch the ubolt plate and limit my flex. All in all, just more projects to complete next fall. Still gonna try and get a video of it just for fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.