Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - OT - Question for Carpenters, woodworkers...etc
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:30 PM
lomodyj
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT - Question for Carpenters, woodworkers...et

I've got a Delta 10" Unisaw 5hp. Love this machine. Good power, I can run it for hours at a time, has excellent dust collection set up. It came as a 3hp and that was plenty...just got a good deal on the 5hp motor later and swapped them out. One thing that some woodworkers don't like about the Unisaws is that the blade tilts towards the right side...for all bevel cuts you have to move the fence to the left hand side of the blade (don't want to trap the work piece under the blade). I've learned to work around it...but it can be a bother.

My boss has a Powermatic 3hp. works good but gets warm and shuts down after running on and off for several hours (like when 2 or 3 of us are making production like cabnets, and one man is on the saw constantly) There is no good way to hook up dust collection that works on his Powermatic.

I have a Grizzly Planer that is a good machine, I understand that their tablesaws are of good quality (it's still not a Delta, but it will do for most).

I've read that the Jet saws are good.

If you get a Delta, get a Unisaw not one of the contractor saws. Get the Biesmeyer fence...I've used all the highend fences and this is hands down the most accurate.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome