Off Roading Forums banner

Joining the ranks of those who "rolled"

697 views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  H8monday 
G
#1 ·
Joining the ranks of those who \"rolled\"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gifLet me start off by saying that when I got serious into "wheeling" my Jeep I had prepared myself for the day I would lay my truck on it's lid. I had alway's thought that my first "roll" would come on the trail......boy was I wrong./wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gifI was about a mile (I live 30 miles from the office) from home yesterday evening when I came around a sharp corner and there was a truck almost stopped in the road. This caught me off gaurd, so I took evasive action. I down shifted and locked up the brakes...off into the bar-ditch I went. Now at this point things seemed fine,I was no longer moving forward./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif The problem was that I was in an off-camber position and the ground was really soft on the passenger side, next thing I know the Jeep is on it's side./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif
The farmer in the truck helps me up-right the Jeep, and I began the process of checking things out. Windshields broke, windshield frame is bent, front passenger fender is bent, both of the TJ flares on the passenger side are flat, good sized dent in the passenger side rocker panel....thats about all I can see.
With the Jeep back on all four I checked the oil and the coolant levels, they seemed fine. I saw only a small amount of oil that leaked out, and only coolant from the container on the fender well. To my surprise/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif the Jeep fired right up and I babied her home. I do keep full insurance on it, so I guess now the saga begins on how to go about getting it fixed, bigger and better. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
I will keep everyone posted on how things go.

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Re: Joining the ranks of those who \"rolled\"

Glad to hear that you are OK.
Going over in a ditch is bad, I was with my mother, she was driving, same situation, almost. She dipped off the road, "jerked" it back on the rald. That send us into a spin. We ended up on the edge of the road, stopped right before a 15ft ditch paralell to the side of the road. Just when I thought everything was over, the ground beneath the tires on the edge gave way, we went over. I was only 13, so I thought it was kind of cool/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif, like a roller coaster ride. We ended up stopping upside down on the roof of the VW. It felt like a roller coaster ride./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI

#3 ·

...and everyone we wheel with allways thought that I would be the fisrt to lay her down. Really sucks that it happens on the way home. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Well, like we talked about, beat up the insurance co. and build it bigger better and stronger.
Don't forget the pics! /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

RocknCJ /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
Good judgment comes from bad experiences, bad experiences comes from bad judgment.

#4 ·

my first roll was a lot like that, but it was more my fault.. i was gong around a corner too fast and slid off the road into wet grass.. i slid up the ditch and while i was way off camber and still doing about 35mph, i hit a big tree.(ejecting both hard doors) the jeep rolled forward on the air and landed on the hard top, then rolled forward again and landed on the drivers side. i was totally uninjured...no cuts, no bruises nothing except the key was about an inch into my arm... i was wrapped arond the steering wheel so tight that the wheel bent all the way over and dug the key into my forearm. that jeep was totaled.. the output shaft of the tranny broke off in the x-fer case, the frame was bent in several places, engine pushed back 6 inches, axles bent.
you were lucky! i was stupid(and lucky).. good to hear you are ok
oh yeah.. i was about 4 blocks from home too

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net

G
#5 ·

Glad you are ok and it sounds like the jeep could of been a lot worst off to than it is . Those parts can easly be replace. GOOD LUCK
P.S. I see the spell checker still sucks big time.

#6 ·

Sorry to hear about your Jeep, Glad to hear you weren't injured. I also live in the Austin area (Bastrop, Smithville area actually), When I get my Scrambler finished (well it'll never be totally finished), or at least what I deem trail ready we'll have to get together sometime for some wheelin.

Jeep On...

82 Scrambler
Smithville, Texas

#7 ·

Kerry,
Have you found any places out towards the Bastrop area for extreme wheeling?

RocknCJ /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
Good judgment comes from bad experiences, bad experiences comes from bad judgment.

#8 ·

No unfortunately not, I'm wanting to start a club here in the area so we can find some areas, There are a few prospects I can think of off the top of my head, but I think I would have better luck if there was a club to show that any trails would be cared for and responsibly used. I have alot of ideas and plans in my head for the area, but have to take it one step at a time. Any trails that show up in this area will most likely be on privately held land and we will have to convince the individuals that the area will be well cared for. If you know anybody from the area that would be interested in putting a club together and willing to work hard to develop the area send them my way and we'll see what we can do.

82 Scrambler
Smithville, Texas

G
#10 ·

I too rolled mine, while out wheeling in LA. We had just righted my friends jeep from a oh so slow motion tip over. My jeep was on top of the birm and we had winched him back over and now it was my turn to come down thru the same spot (my 2nd time) My wife had refused to drive it down since this was our first actual "roll over" event. I hit the exact spot of my friends and started to go over just like him....except I remembered that you could turn into the roll and give it some gas and drive thru it......Right! all I managed to do was hit harder. results: windshield frame & glass, motor mount, fan, radiator, dimple in hood and fender (still there 4 yrs later).
The worse part was we had to tell my friends wife that I hit a tree because she was left back at camp having a breakdown from an earlier jeep thrill.....she has never been in the woods again.
But hey, we learn from these times don't we? Just ask Rockbottom.
Still jeeping.
-Will

G
#11 ·

I also rolled my Jeep. It went over on the drivers side, then over the top, and on to the passenger side. The only damage was the broken windshield and bent windshield frame. The roll also bent both front fenders and put a big dent in the front of the hood. A jack fixed the fenders, and a big hammer fixed the hood. nothing else was even hurt, and only $200 for a new windshield and frame. I also wasn't on the trail (yet), but even after the roll I still finished a full day of wheeling. The 50 mile highway drive home sucked though. Mine was caused by lose U-bolts on the front axle, I tried to make a fairly sharp turn and the Jeep wouldn't turn, so I turned the wheel a little bit more and the next thing I know the inside front tire is starting to climb the berm on the side of the road. Luckely it was a slow speed roll. Now I can say I rolled it and I never have to do that again. Graduated from those who will to those who have. I am sure I will get to those who have again, ARRRG.

Thanks, Ray

#12 ·

Sounds like you at least had an "easy" roll. Go for the money from the insurance company and do the work your self. As long as the cowl where the windshield hinges bolt on is not bent up, you can get a new windshield frame and glass and a fender for about 300-400, and they're really easy to bolt on. The dented body should bump out pretty easily.

When I rolled my '79 I had to get a whole new body and hard top and doors.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

#13 ·

/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Not to mention two new pumpkin pies/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif (Nut rolled his Jeep on the way to grandma's house for Thanksgiving)/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif(They made it "over the river", but not "through the woods."/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif...I don't know what these moonguys/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifare laughing about they rolled their Jeep at Farmington last year and wrecked their best beer cooler/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

#14 ·

Sorry to hear about your Jeep. Glad you are Okay.

I had to reply because yesterday I rolled my F350. I was heading out hwy 71 just past Hamilton pool rd. Well I thought I would be driving this truck for at least 100k miles. Today my truck was put to rest at only 26k miles. I rolled the truck at least twice after sliding off a slick road at about 65mph. I can tell you that an unloaded F350 with powerstroke up front doesn't take long to switch ends. I didn't even have an opportunity to steer out of the situation. The cab held up well except for the passenger side roof. The truck landed right at the junction between the roof and the doors and crushed into the top of the passenger side seat. My air bag didn't deploy and I only have a few scratches from broken glass and a little seat belt rash on my shoulder. I feel I was very lucky if had any passengers with me I am afraid things would have been a lot worse. All I can say is that I had no warning it was like I hit a patch of ice. If I can offer any advice it would be to drive slow in wet conditions regardless of your driving experience. This all happened on a road I have driven a 100 times. I can't thank the guy enough who stopped to see if I was alright. I will certainly return the favor at the next accident I see.

Tom

1985 CJ7
4WheelDriveWeb

#15 ·

/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif Damn! That's grim! Glad you got out of that one relatively unscathed. Yeah, it always worried me having a heavy diesel on the front axle of an empty pickup/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I've never weighed one front-back, but then again maybe I shouldn't ......I might not get back in the truck/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifif I knew out out of whack it really was./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G
#16 ·

My first roll over was in an International Scout II on the freeway here in Reno NV, at approximately 60 miles per hour. The roll over seemed slow and my Scout only made it onto the top. It skidded on the top for about 50 or 60 feet and came to a rest against the guardrail. The only injury was to my hand when I put it through the driver's window to stop myself from hitting the asphalt.
Scary!
Mizu

www.Trailhed.com

#17 ·

I rolled my 83 F250 back in 85 very baddly, while towing my race boat from LA to the colorado river, I was driving by myself at night at a pretty good clip out on Hwy?? cant remember the Hwy # its called rice road. Anyway I got caught in a bad manuever of one semi trying to pass another while coming at me, I was tired and didnt recognize what was happening untill it was to late, and was forced to shoot the gap down the middle of the two trucks. My boat clipped the truck in my lane and got me a little sideways, and sent me off the road and into a wash at about 70mph. I was pinned in the truck for over an hour, the boat was heavily damaged the truck was totaled,I got banged up a little(busted ribs,concussion, a few stitches)but was relatively in good shape considering what the wreck looked like. The truck driver who caused it was really pretty upstanding in his efforts to rush back to the wreck and to keep me calm while I was trapped, and even in his admition of what had happened, the other driver never stopped. I was wearing my seat belt,(I didnt wear em much back then,because I was young and bulletproof), due to having just lost my best freind about a month earlier in Toyota truck rollover when he fell asleep at the wheel.
Anyways, those are not Jeep rollovers, even if its in a Jeep, they are crashes. In a Jeep, a "ROLLOVER" only occures while on the trail. Being in the ranks of those who have rolled their Jeeps means your pushing your rig to the limit and is kind of a badge of Honor or Stupidity(to close to call). Ive rolled my Jeep on its side a few times, but only recently rolled all the way over hard. So im sorry to say for all of you that have crashed your rides, it doesnt neccesaarilly put you into the Jeep Rollover Brotherhood. Keep trying though, it means you pushing your rig and your skills to the limit(if thats what you want to do). When/if you do "ROLLOVER" in your Jeep it will look like this,(see attachment), yeah Im kind of proud of it, because I climbed the rock that rolled me a couple of hours later. The club that held the run is sending me a Rollover patch and cetificate, and have knick named me "Thud". Its all in fun.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.