Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - harmonic balancer on transfer case....
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:54 AM
jjh40
Addict

Re: harmonic balancer on transfer case....

It was used for two reasons. It was to dampen a low frequency vibration coming from the T-case. If memory serves correct it is 55hz. It also takes the place of the tin washer in the slinger seal. the one that the flared rubber seal rides against. This damper is also used on some XJ's. It was designed by the Hillsdale Tool division of Eagle Picher Automotive, for New Venture Gear in Syracuse NY. I was the engineer that set-up the production line on this part. Two double spindle cnc lathes, and an assembly press to put the rubber in. Oh yeah, a vertical cnc machining center to drill and tap those dreaded puller holes. They were hard to keep in the right position because they are very close to the rim of the hub. I think I have a part at home, and I'm sure I have prints of it still. FYI, there is a very similar damper on Libertys also. I do not work for that company anymore. I may have a picture of the damper if I do a little digging. I'll post it if I find it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1407458-xjtjt-caseinserted.JPG (51.2 KB, 16 views)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome