Off Roading Forums banner

can a CJ5 be stretched to a CJ7?

6K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
could I stretch a CJ5 to a CJ7 by buying replacemet sheetmetal for the area around the CJ7/Wrangler door?

#3 ·
It's doable with sheetmetal and a frame stretch, but what would be the point beyond a welding & bodywork exercise and a big waste of time & money? There's a pretty cool rig in the latest issue of the rag that 4WP Wholesalers puts out. The guy started with his old trail veteran CJ-5 and essentially stretched it into a bobbed CJ-8.

#5 ·
hey Jeepskate, long time no chat. I saw the stretched CJ you mentioned. I had thought of it earlier since there are no pre '75 CJ7s and '75 and older in Cali don't have smog checks. I wana make a hot rod from a Jeep. It would be a my Jeepster but with a TJ look. I think I told you a long time ago. I would use it to save up parts for my Yj like TJ flares, Explorer 8.8" rear, renegade rear bumpers, and such. here is a pic

i'd like to put a TJ front on it.(that would NEVER go on my YJ =P) what's your website address? I lost my links when going to WIN98. I still want to strech my YJ to be in between what I have and a bobtailed CJ8. Any thoughts on my Jeepster?

#7 ·
YJ4LIFE, Please do not butcher your Commando to do the hot rod thing, they are too hard to come by to slaughter it for that. THe pic looks good even though I am not a hot rod guy, but Keep something with a square back, the Jeepster is not your ride. Besides You would be in for a lot of work widening it to accomidate your TJ front, there is a big width difference there.

John
yes, my user name is a typo, go figure.

#8 ·
don't worry about my dad's '68 Commando. that thing is so stock it has the buick v6 and oil air filter still. I should scan some pics for u guys of it.... His Commando is more CJ than Jeepster. I'm thinking in the spirit of the pre-Commando Jeepsters and the recent concept car for my Hot Rod Jeepster.

Tas '89 YJ 4.2L, AX-15, 31" BFGs, Flowmaster, Euro tail lights....

G
#10 ·
I saw one at the Smoky Mnt Venture. The owner had his own shop/business. He had stretched the door just like you mentioned to a Cj7/8 entry width but then kept the curve of the cj5. We(not me alone)thought that it was a CJ6, but the stretch was in the wrong place for a six.
I would have to do some searching and get back to you but I may be able to get his work number. (south Florida).let me know if you want me to.
-Will

#11 ·
Thanks, for a minute there I was a bit on the freaked out side. Got to love your Jeepster! I have the original oil bath too, don't know why, but it is sort of funky and they just don't make names like "dauntless" anlymore. Good luck on the project, $$$$$$ is all i can say, but that is all it ever is right? You could make it 2 wheel drive and put in a ford 9" rear with a spool and have a mustang front suspention with the pinto steering, it would be a very nice hot rod, but possibly too much ford?

John
yes, my user name is a typo, go figure.

#12 ·
I was thinking of using a 8.8" explorer rear so I could use it on Yj when the time comes. I dunno about the front suspension. maybe custom heim jointed doulbe A arms on chevy 4wd spindles ;) I'm going to try to leard to weld this summer, for obvious reasons ;)

G
#13 ·
Anything is possible, but you would also have to stretch the frame. I stretched my wrangler out to almost the length of a cj-8 but with a longer wheelbase. Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.