Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Another 258 GM TBI post -- chip burning / files???
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 06:17 PM
dave
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Another 258 GM TBI post -- chip burning / files???

I've done some web surfing on TBI conversions. One thought that comes to my mind about using the GM 4.3 (262 cubic inch) V6 TBI system on an AMC 258 would be the using the GM 4.3 V6 TBI 7 pin electronic ignition module. The best advantage, in my humble opinion, for using the GM TBI computer system on an AMC 258 would be because the GM TBI computer could be used to control both spark and fuel curves. There is lots of information to converting an AMC 258 to use the older GM 4 pin electronic ignition module HEI distributor. It's going to take some homework, but converting the older GM 4 pin electronic ignition module distributor to the newer GM 7 pin electronic ignition module should be possible. The vacuum advance and spring / weight advance will NOT be needed because the GM TBI computer will do what the vacuum advance and spring / weight advance do. In my humble opinion, custom chip buring would not be needed if the GM 4.3 V6 7 pin electronic ignition module was installed in the older GM 4 pin electronic ignition module distributor if all the other GM 4.3 V6 sensors were used. Once all the sensors and 7 pin electronic igntion module got hooked up to the GM 4.3 V6 computer, the computer should have the ability to "learn" the 258 engine with the values available in the "Block Learn" function of the GM computer.
dave

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome