Off Roading Forums banner

87 GMC Suburban Bump Steer

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Walleyefisher 
G
#1 ·
87 suburban with a 4" lift. 35" tires

I put a dual shock Rancho stabilizer on and still have bump.

I put the steering arm on with the lift. The drag link looks perfectly level. Not sure what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
GM steering is not the best designed. The only way to get rid of it completely is to go to cross-over steering. Offroaddesign.com has the parts for that. Be aware though, there's lots of bits and pieces involved, and it can be a bit costly.
Otherwise, just check all of your tie-rod ends and rag joint, make sure everything is up to spec and learn to live with it.

#3 ·
www.offroadunlimited.com also make an awsome kit, the most complete one that ive seen. it comes with knuckles, so no hunting junk yards, getting pieces milled etc. all together for there kit and a new steering box it should only cost about 750-800, depending on the steering box. this is the way im going to go when i get to that stage in my build up.

p.s. its going to be listed under a dana 44 but the kit is interchangable with the 10 bolt.

G
#6 ·
Is there any way to make it better without going to a crossover system??? So many trucks and suburbans out there

I can't believe that someone hasn't came up with a way to fix this without changing the steering box and costing so d@mn much.

Thanks for any Help

G
#8 ·
I have an AGR steering box already....I'm not sure if I can convert it to a 2WD or not. Also, I currently only have a 4" lift. Clearance to the drivers side knuckle might be a problem.

Thanks for the input Chevy. I'm still hoping for a miracle fix....maybe a bent drag instead of steering arm.

Also, why would it drive better and have very little if no bump steer with the original steering arm with the drag length at a pretty steep downward angle...now it's flat and bump steers like crazy.

I'm Confused....

#9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
The drag link looks perfectly level. Not sure what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always gotten lucky and never had any problems with bumpsteer.. but here and there I have skimmed over some threads about it. From what i remember others saying, you don't want the drag link to be perfectly level with the ground. You want it to follow the angle of the spring. Now, everyone can come in and say that's BS or whatever... I could care less... I'm just repeating what others, who have corrected their bumpsteer, have said.

G
#11 ·
That is awesome info....Thank you. Unfortunately there is only a few options for steering adjustment.

Steering Arm
Drop Pitman Arm
Bent Drag Link

I think I'll go back to the stock steering arm and then go with a 2" drop pitman arm. Hopefully that will give me the correct angle....

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.