Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Old-style MC2100 automatic choke question
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
MarineOpLaw
Can't Get Enough

Old-style MC2100 automatic choke question

<font color="red">Alrighty... FINALLY!</font> got my Scrambler - that I swapped engines (258->258) & converted to auto tranny (T-5 -> TF999) - up-n-running. (Took 'bout a year... w/ many big, higher-priority projects interrupting/delaying completion.) FWIW, converting to AT was in deference to my wife...[img]images/graemlins/owned1.gif[/img] now she can drive one of the many in our Rupert fleet... (and thus makes future acquisitions more palatable [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ).

The 'new' engine also got an MC2100 upgrade. [img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] (Fabbing kickdown linkage was a big time-consumer, but the end product looks clean and realtively stock... therefore seemingly worth the effort.)

Unfortunately, I did not pay very close attention to the MC2100 I picked up off eBay... it must be an fairly ancient one...[img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img] - not having the PVC outlet on the rear, nor the port on the left front of the carb. ('Fixed' the former challenge by fabbing a port w/ barb fitting screwed into a hole drilled in the carb adapter; and the latter by punching out a plug on the right front and press fitting a tube donated by 'parts BBD'. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Time consuming, but effective. [img]images/graemlins/headspin.gif[/img] )

Final challenge is the automatic choke: it's not electrically-operated, but rather the type that connects to a heat tube coming up from manifold. Trouble is, the manifold is NOT so ancient and does not have any holes for a little heat tube.

Sooo..., can I simply drill a hole in the exhaust manifold... or ain't it that easy to do? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Are a few metal shavings in the exhaust manifold an issue?

Or, am I just better off swapping on an electric choke? Can I adapt one from a BBD [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] (plenty of them laying around the garage... [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

Many thanks aforehand...

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome