Off Roading Forums banner

Is my engine toast?

381 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
I have a 4 cyl 95 YJ with almost 200k on the original engine. For the past few days she has been spewing coolant / steam out of the front of the block at the water pump.

I have yet to tear down an engine. So I'm not sure if it's just the pump (about 3 years old) or the engine should be rebuilt.

I haven't seen any smoke from the exhaust. Nor is it overheating. It has been running fine and starts without delay.

Before I get at the water pump, I thought I would ask.

Thanks.

#3 ·
WOW and I only have 80,000 on my 4 cyl,,, Could I be so lucky?????

Ya, the water pump often starts to spew when they go bad,, watch closly when you take it apart, it may be as simple as a seal,,, OR if it has the crappy 3 piece radiator don't discount a leak that the fan is picking up and throwing around,,, But you can see it you may have already thought of it..

If it is running normal I would lean twards the pump....

Good Luck

#4 ·
yup, what they said.

a water pump isnt tough to do for the mechanical "green thumb"

at some point do a compression test and that should tell you how much juice you have left in your engine

the 4 popper is surprisingly long lasting....i had a friend who sold his jeep with 170k miles....and he had run it with negligible oil pressure for the last 10k or so.....the motor was shot when he sold it, but had he replaced the oil pump he would have had no issues im sure

#5 ·
Oil pressure is steady. Was thinking to change the oil pump for preventive maint. I usually go for the destructive maint. though.

I'll check the compression. I figure it's got to be going.

Not that I'm the mechanical green thumb - I just haven't had the opportunity to rebuild an engine yet. But I just bought my first house with a garage. So now I have the room to do it.

Water pump it is then. I greatly appreciate the advice.

Rio Grande - dude, I rolled 80k years ago. Oil change every three and don't look at other vechicles (your jeep knows and gets mad) you'll problably get the same.

G
#6 ·
I personally would not bother replacing the oil pump. With that many miles, it's not worth it. Drive it until it dies....then slap in a newer V8 if you decide that you want more HP. You should be able to buy a newer V6 or V8 for abou the cost of the rebuild.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.