Off Roading Forums banner

Bought 2003 Grizzly... have questions about it.

2K views 5 replies 0 participants last post by  4WheelingPlus 
G
#1 ·
Hello,

Can anyone tell me "about" how much power a 2003 Grizzly should have? I assumed that the 660 would scream but it doesn't. Top speed on flat surface is 48mph.

I bought a used one from a dealer... of course there are NO test rides so I had to put down almost $6000 including tax & license before I could "test" it.

I am very disappointed as it seems to be very sluggish. It will not bring the front tires off the ground, it barely spins the rear tires from a stop, I have to use low range for steep hills as high range bogs.

Also: I stopped on the road to take some pics of it and it started smelling hot. It smelt like a boiling radiator (antifreeze) smell. I did not see any antifreeze on the ground. The outside temp was about 20F and I was playing on logging roads.

I can't get it into Park unless I turn the engine off. Is this normal?

Thanks for your time.

- Ron

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Ron

I think you should take it back to the dealer you bought it from if it isnt to late. I have an 04 grizzly stock and I have had it up to 68mph on bumpy dirt road. It should also have plenty of power in the high side to climb a hill. I have the grizz and an 02 honda 400ex and I like my grizz better for trail riding because of the power! Also, no you should not have to turn it off to get it in park, that is not normal. I would take it back if you still can!!

G
#3 ·
Re: Bought 2003 Grizzly... have questions about it

Sounds like someone abused that machine, I have an 02 and it rocks two years later. With that kinda of power loss, and hill climbing there is something wrong with it. Who knows what the previous owner did to it, how many times it was swamped, did not maintain it, etc... Sorry to hear about it.

G
#4 ·
Ok. I got it back today. The dealer did some work on it. I haven't ridden it yet but will tomorrow.

They are saying that the gas cap is not working properly and it's causing the Griz to hydro lock.

I'll post more after my ride tomorrow.

- Ron

G
#5 ·
Re: Bought 2003 Grizzly... have questions about it

I had my air flow tube to the gas cap get plugged with mud, and it would run for a few min and then stall. I didn't realize how important it is to have air flowing into the tank. Took me forever to figure the tube was plugged. Hope that works.

G
#6 ·
All seems to be good now. The dealer did re-wire the ignition & serviced the radiator. This seems to have cured the cutting out and overheating as I didn't experience either issue on my last ride.

It still has the old gas cap but it went great when I went riding.

I got up to 64mph. That is shy of the 66-68 that others tell me it should go BUT: I weigh 340#'s so I imagine my big butt is slowing it down a little.

I've only got one more concern about it... the fuel mileage seems to be terrible.

The first ride I got 10 miles per gallon. This ride seems to be about the same but I won't know until I fill it.

What is everyone else getting for MPG or how many miles can you get before you have to go onto Reserve?

Any ideas how many miles I have until Reserve runs out?

Thanks!
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.