Off Roading Forums banner

Power Programmers and Tuners

615 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  sandiegoz71 
G
#1 ·
Im looking to get a programmer in order to adjust my speedometer to my new tires, and would also like a little performance out of it. I've read a little about the Power Programmer by Hypertech. Anyone have any expirience or suggestions?
Thanks Guys

#2 ·
i like it alot. I readjusted my speedo along with gaining peformance i nthe engine. Sorry for my miss pselling tonight. I have had a lot of drinks as I am only a sophmore in college. I have it with my 99 tahoe, it works great. Hvae had it for a year. I plan on stepping up in size(tires), and this sholud help me out alot.

G
#4 ·
Yes that is true. when you hook it up it reads the VIN number and it won't work on another vehicel unless you set the first one back to default factory setting. That will release the VIN number. At least that is what I was told by a friend who has one.

#7 ·
Yup! As long as the other truck is covered by the particular programmer part number, of course.

G
#8 ·
I've used them before and although they do what they say they do, you are literally wasting your money in my opinion. if you have access to a shop with a dyno and tuning programs, it is a much better way to go than a programmer. the shop can take that same $350 that youre going to spend on the programmer (which gives you a generalized tune built by hypertech or whoever the product is make by) and do a vehicle specific tune for YOUR truck. You can get the same speedo recalibration and all that stuff with a far better tune for the same money you would be spending. It's a much better way to go IMO. But on the other hand if you dont have access to a shop with that equipment then a programmer is a decent second best.

Jared

#9 ·
to really take advatage of the HPP you need to run premium gas which is not really an option for me at 2.50 a gallon. I got mine off ebay and it did just the trick. My speedo and odometer are now dialed and I run the low temp radiator thermostat. I played with the actual "power programming" but couldn't justify the premium gas like I said. My truck is fast enough without

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.