Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Help a Jeep Newbie on Lift vs. Tire Size
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 12:05 AM
jeepin_duck

Re: Help a Jeep Newbie on Lift vs. Tire Size

When I bought my CJ-7, it had a 2" suspension lift and 1" body, and fit 33" tires ok. They didn't rub or anything, but the springs on the jeep were so stiff that the wheels didn't travel at all! 32" will probably not have rubbing issues, will allow for a little more wheel travel than 33's stuffed in there, and will keep your gearing more favorable than the larger tires. Therefore, they might not be a bad idea.

As far as lift kits go, there's tons of opinions out there. I put a 4" BDS on the CJ in May, and it works pretty well--rides better than what it had before (I have no idea what brand of springs it had--there were about 10 leafs per pack, though!), and flexes way better. In fact, I can rub the fenders now if I push it, even with the higher lift, where before I couldn't get it to articulate that much. I have had good experience with Skyjacker kits, too--I think my brother's CJ w/ Skyjackers rides better than my jeep does now (I've put about 2000 miles on the BDS kit), and his springs were pretty soft right out of the box, where my BDS springs seem to need to break in.

FYI, my 4" kit was the same price as the 2", and as far as most kits go, there isn't a big price difference. Most people seem to want to go bigger later, anyway. So, you might consider going straight to the 4" kit and saving some money in the long run...just something to think about.

Good luck...

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome