Off Roading Forums banner

It's almost done.. tell me what you think

459 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Infernozx 
#1 ·
It\'s almost done.. tell me what you think

Not the whole jeep.. thats just wishfull thinking..

But with the 100deg F + weather here in Whistler over the last few weeks, progress has been slow.

Tools are too hot to pickup.. and coveralls a drenched in about 40 min.

So heres the little thing I've been working on to replace the wrap bar shackle..

I dunno if its going to work, but i'm going to give it a try.

Ignore the weld on the bar.. that will be fixed properly..
and the lower bumptop will move down another 3/16" or so. I just have to weld a new nut into it.

as of now, theres 45 deg "twist" on the bar without an inclination of bind..

Also there will be rubber strips on the box tube pictured to stop any side to side "clanking."

Tell me what you think.. Genious? Or should I call the guys in white coats?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: It\'s almost done.. tell me what you think

So let me get this straight!! Your making that to keep you from getting axle wrap????? If so and it don't work out I can try to get a battery for my digital on my way home from work tomorrow and take a picture of the one on the FJ40 out back in the shop!!! Works pretty good and easy to make.
Im geussing thats what your making there and if not just call me stupid, I don't mind!!!!!

#3 ·

Ya I guess I never did say what it was for

Its going to be a wrap bar.

I had one on my old skid.. that worked, but I wasnt satisfied with how it acted when it flexed out, so I figured I'd give this a shot.. Cost so far is about $10 in the bumpstops. thats all

#4 ·

Post up a few more pics! From what it looks like there's an "eye" of sorts welded to the tube? And that "eye" is held captive by the bolt? And the rubber keeps it from moving?

Is that it's orientation in relation to the skid (assuming the blue plate is the skid)? If so, it would seem there's no provision for the axle to move forward/back (as it arcs thru the travel). What's the axle end look like?

#5 ·

nope.. there is no eye. it's 1/2" flat stock.

moves completely freely between the two bumpstops.. like it is now, you give it a tug, and it will just slid out.

On the axle end.

1/4" plate brackets, sandwich the end of the tube which has bushings inside perpendicular tube.

this is just infront of, and about 8" above the axle tubes, they will be triangulated together, and weld right where that other weld on the tube is.

Yes the blue thing is the skidplate.
Completely flat.

and the wrap bar will be completely free to move around inside the contraption.

Theoretically, IF... the rear axle were to drop away without springs attached.. (say I attached a 4 link setup, then let it drop as far as it wanted) the wrap bar could/may slide out of the contraption.

Heres the only other picture I have right now.

Attachments

#6 ·

i see the ruber getting destroyed near instantly, or the flat stock bending.
i have a habit of benind my end links on my traction bar setup like sams offroad style using 3/4" tractor links. i have bent links, snapped tubes off, and bent 3/4" bolts that run through the eye.
alot more stress goes though there than what you would think.

#8 ·

The Idea/theroy looks pretty good. I would also tend to think that the flat stock may just bend. but, your design looks like you reinforce it on ether side. (Make it look like an "I" beam turned 90*. IT would still slide between the bump stops. (forward and back) But would be much much stornger.
I think your Idea, and design are really great, please keep us posted as to how it works.

#9 ·

Thats a good idea.

I've bent my wrap bar before, which is why this one is being made.

I tried to identify all the points on the last one that failed, and make sure they dont fail here.

I guess I might get it all right, but I'll probably end up with some more weakpoints (isn't there always?
)

I'll keep you guys posted.. going is slow.
It was ~104 deg yesterday (too hot) and now today its probably 40 or so... too cold and rainy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.