Off Roading Forums banner

T-18 short shaft c onversion

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  skiddy 
G
#1 ·
How do I convert a T-18 from a FSJ to the short input shaft and smaller CJ bellhousing? Any shortcuts? How much will it cost me? Thanks in advance for any info!

-Skiddy
80 CJ5, 76 CJ7 to restore, numerous parts Jeeps
http://users.nexet.net/rhosco

#2 ·
I did it for about $350. That included everything.
If I knew then what I know now, I could have done it a lot cheaper.

I bought the "Parts Mike" kit for $200 (input shaft, syncro, and that sleve that goes into the end of the crank, may have been some other crap in there too), then got a bellhousing used (T-150 housing for V-8 and drill an extra hole) and got a good deal on the smaller splined clutch plate. I had to get a new input bearing, there is sometimes a difference in the thickness of them from the Jeep shaft to the Ford shaft. Then get the drive shafts longer in the front and shorter in the rear. Cut the tub out a little. Made a new skid plate (didn't need to at first, but it became a good idea after breaking a few tranny mounts). Also made the largest rubber boot ever seen in a CJ to cover the hole I cut in the floor.

It's a PITA the first time you do it, but it's not hard. Once you have seen or done it once it's easy.

More than a couple guys on here have converted them and there are a lot of good posts on the subject.

You will have to search for them.

You can also download directions at Partsmike.com The directions are to rebuild at the same time.

Good luck, post any questions you have and I'll try to help out if I can.

#4 ·
Ya, pretty much what they said...

What I did.. I had a J truck T-18 with the 27' long input shaft
GIven to me in pieces cause it had a bad first gear. apparently someone didn't realize that first wasn't Synch'd.

Anyway, I picked up a Ford T-18 out of the Junkyard that had bad case, and a screwwed up 2 second gear for $80. Bought a rebuild kit for like $100, and built one from the two.

That in my opinion is the best way... Basically I built and installed my for about $200.

G
#5 ·
Thank you all for the info!!

The long previous threads were of great help, full of great info! (I tried to search the archives, but apparently was too specific in my search, sorry to bother you all with a well-covered topic.)

Thanks again to you all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.