Off Roading Forums banner

SHIFT PATTERN, 4WH, 4WL, WHEN AND HOW

9K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  DocZook 
G
#1 ·
OK THIS IS PROBABLY A DUMB QUESTION BUT I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST 4X4 AND I DONT REALLY KNOW WHAT THE T=CASE SHIFT PATTERN IS OR HOW TO PROPERLY USE IT. I HAVE AN 86 SUZUKI SAMURAI AND THE PATTERN ON THE KNOBS ARE GONE. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THE TCASE PATTERN IS AND WHEN SHOULD I USE 4LOW VS. 4HIGH AND WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO TO LOCK THE FRONT HUBS? REVERSE OR ANYTHING? I KNOW , I KNOW , DUMB QUESTION BUT I DONT WANT TO BREAK ANYTHING BY DOING IT WRONG. THANKS.

#2 ·
If your lock-out hubs are the manual type, they'll have a knob in the center with markings that say 'free' and 'lock'. Just the line the arrows up. Then pull back on the T-Case lever (toward rear of <nobr>vehicle</nobr>), the first positon you reach is 4-High. Don't be fooled by the fact the lever now travels from side to side, it's really in 4-High. To reach 4-Low, you have to be in 4-High, then move the lever to the right and foward. The next position is neutral, move it foward again to get into 4-Low. You follow this same pattern to come back out to 2wd. You can run the vehicle in 2wd with the hubs locked, to give you the option of going to 4-High without stopping (just use the clutch like a normal gear change). Don't use <nobr>4wd</nobr> with the hubs in the free position, you can damage the hubs. 4-High is a direct 1:1 ratio, I've driven my Sammy up to 70 miles a hour in 4-High. 4-Low is 2:1 reduction for more torque/lower vehicle speed at the same engine RPM. Use it for off-roadin'. In 2wd, having the hubs in the 'free' position makes the vehicle easier to steer, and saves wear on the front drive-line. Have fun, I love my Sammy. Try to keep the wheels oriented below you at all times.

#4 ·
Some other uses for 4wd low...

When taking that shortcut through the cornfields.

When moving your mobile home across the street.

When pulling a stuck H-2 Hummer out of the snow.

When your passenger weighs 400 lbs or more.

When drag racing a bulldozer for pink slips.

When climbing out of the McDonalds Drive Thru Line.

To sound like the Batmobile in the bowling alley parking lot.

To pull or push an old fridge out to the dumpster.

To move the dumpster somewhere else.

And when taking the family dog out for a walk. (don't use reverse)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.