Off Roading Forums banner

Weber or Howell?????

869 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  pnut 
#1 ·
I need to get rid of this Carter....but am unsure on where I want to go. What is the general consensus on Weber mod and Howell TBI kit. What vacuum lines can I get rid of with the Weber. Do I need to do the nutter bypass with Both? Weber is cheaper(a plus) but is the Howell truly better. Any advise would be appreciated.

#2 ·
1. There is another alternative,
2. The MC2100 carb,
3. With a Weber, MC2100, or a Howell TBI,
4. You can eliminate most of you lines,
5. Me, I've only got one line left operational,
6. The vacuum advance to the distributor.
7. As you remove the Feedback carb,
8. You're forced to directly connect,
9. The distributor to the ignition module (Nutter Bypass).
10. And a TFI or GM HEI ignition upgrade,
11. Should be another modification considered.
12. The MC2100 (used) is a good carb,
13. Parts are avaliable...
14. And it's price is less expensive than a new Weber.
15. But IMHO if you can afford the Howell,
16. You won't be disappointed.

#4 ·
I'm going with LEVE on this one (always a safe bet). You can snag an MC2100 for under $50.00 from a junkyard, rebuild kit $20.00, and adapter $25.00. Add a few misc. expenses and your problem is well solved for about $100.00. Try and do that with a Weber. But if you've got the $$$ FI is way cool.

#5 ·
100% Howell.

I agree the Carter option mentioned is an inexpensive way out. But if you are looking to improve gas mileage, power, and driveability, the Howell system is the way to go.

I HAD a Weber for a couple of years on my 4.2, and I could never tune it in right, even after re-jetting and fiddling for endless hours. On top of that the performance on steep hills suffered (going up a steep dune), and the fuel mileage was horrible. I switched to the Howell TBI and I have never been more happy with any of my upgrades.

Howell if you have the money, Carter if not. No to the Weber.

Side note: do the TR cap and rotor (81 Ford F150 cap rotor and cap adaptor) under any circumstances. Very cheap and a good upgrade. I did this, but I also run an MSD, and an MSD coil. The factory ignition and computer are totally gone replaced by the TBI brain and the MSD ignition. Good combo in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.